SPONSORED:

25 domestic terrorism investigations opened after assault on Capitol

Law enforcement officials have opened at least 25 domestic terrorism cases following the riot that broke out at the U.S. Capitol building last week amid pro-Trump demonstrations in Washington, D.C.

Rep. Jason CrowJason CrowManagers seek to make GOP think twice about Trump acquittal The GOP is in a fix: Gordian knot or existential crisis? Thousands of troops dig in for inauguration MORE (D-Colo.) confirmed on Twitter on Sunday that Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthyOvernight Defense: Army details new hair and grooming standards | DC National Guard chief says Pentagon restricted his authority before riot | Colorado calls on Biden not to move Space Command Capitol Police chief apologizes, admits to department's failures in riot DC National Guard commander says Pentagon restricted his authority before riot MORE said during a call that “at least 25 domestic terrorism cases have been opened as a result of the assault on the Capitol,” according to Crow’s notes from the conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy “indicated that the [Defense Department] is aware of further possible threats posed by would-be terrorists in the days up to and including Inauguration Day and is working with local and federal law enforcement to coordinate security preparations,” Crow also wrote.

According to Crow’s account of the call, the Department of Defense made “several” attempts to offer National Guard resources to the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police and U.S. Capitol Police before the mob breached the Capitol building on Jan. 6. The department “repeatedly were told no additional resources needed.” 

The Democratic lawmaker also said that “due to a lack of coordination and preparation, there was not a functioning operations center in the Pentagon to manage [National Guard] presence and direct additional resources” amid the riot. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Crow and Rep. Ruben GallegoRuben GallegoProgressives fume over Senate setbacks More than 0K raised for Ohio mom arrested for leaving kids alone at motel to work GoFundMe set up for mother arrested after leaving kids alone while at work MORE (D-Ariz.) on Saturday sent a letter to McCarthy requesting a briefing for members of the House Armed Services Committee on the Department of Defense and National Guard’s response to the riot, in addition to preparation for President-elect Joe BidenJoe BidenNoem touts South Dakota coronavirus response, knocks lockdowns in CPAC speech On The Trail: Cuomo and Newsom — a story of two embattled governors Biden celebrates vaccine approval but warns 'current improvement could reverse' MORE’s inauguration next week. 

Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel BowserMuriel BowserAbigail Breslin mourns loss of father from COVID-19 NAACP president accuses Trump of having operated under 'white supremacist doctrine' DC vaccine sign-ups plagued with technical problems MORE (D) on Sunday called on the Department of Homeland Security to take additional steps to ensure that the nation’s capital is secure ahead of the inauguration.

Bowser has called for an extension of the special security period surrounding the inauguration, the declaration of a pre-disaster zone, and more. 

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Sunday told CNN’s State of the Union that the Maryland National Guard quickly mobilized after hearing of the U.S. Capitol breach, but he was unable to get permission to send troops into Washington, D.C., for “quite some time.”

Governors are required to receive permission from the Defense Department to send troops into the nation’s capital. 

"So, our Guard mobilized and was ready. But we couldn't actually cross over the border into D.C. without the OK. And that was quite some time. We kept running it up the flagpole, our generals talking to the National Guard generals. And eventually, I got a call from Ryan McCarthy, the secretary of the Army, asking if we could come into the city. But we had already been mobilizing," Hogan said.

The Hill has reached out to the Army for comment.