Feinstein, Harris call for probe of ICE after employee resigns

Feinstein, Harris call for probe of ICE after employee resigns
© Getty

California Democratic Sens. Dianne FeinsteinDianne Emiel FeinsteinThe Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Pass USMCA Coalition - Dems look for traction following Barr-Mueller findings Senate GOP eyes probes into 2016 issues 'swept under the rug' Top Senate Judiciary Dem asks Barr to hand over full Mueller report by April 1 MORE and Kamala HarrisKamala Devi HarrisSenate gears up for Green New Deal vote Senate GOP proposes constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 seats Overnight Energy: Green New Deal vote set to test Dem unity | Renewables on track to phase out coal, study finds | EPA chief reportedly recuses himself from mine review MORE are calling for a probe into U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) after a spokesman resigned over what he called false statements from the Trump administration about federal raids in California.

Feinstein and Harris wrote a letter Thursday to the Department of Homeland Security's acting Inspector General, John KellyJohn Francis KellyMORE, urging an investigation into the resignation of James Schwab, the San Francisco spokesman for ICE until last week.

Schwab resigned last week, telling the San Fransisco Chronicle he was frustrated by official statements blaming Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf (D) for tipping off hundreds of immigrants in the country illegally about upcoming raids.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have serious concerns that Trump administration officials are misrepresenting the facts and statistics surrounding this enforcement action for political purposes," the two California senators wrote Thursday.

"ICE has since reversed its previous statements, saying it 'can't put a number on how many targets avoided arrest' due to Mayor Schaaf's alert," they wrote.

“Public policies and law enforcement operations must be informed by facts,” the letter continues, “not the fabricated overstatements or distortions of political officials.”

Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan derided the mayor's efforts as "irresponsible" at the time, and Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsPress: Should the media apologize to Donald Trump? After Mueller, Democrats need to avoid the Javert trap Mueller probe: A timeline from beginning to end MORE claimed earlier this month that Homan told him that as many as 800 people avoided the sting as a result of her comments.

“ICE failed to make 800 arrests that they would have made if the mayor had not acted as she did. Those are 800 wanted aliens that are now at large in that community," Sessions said.

President TrumpDonald John TrumpPapadopoulos claims he was pressured to sign plea deal Tlaib asking colleagues to support impeachment investigation resolution Trump rips 'Mainstream Media': 'They truly are the Enemy of the People' MORE referenced the number the next day, which he said was "close to 1,000."

During the four-day operation, ICE made 232 arrests. Schwab reportedly believed the number of immigrants who avoided the sting to be much lower than 800, and was uncomfortable with orders to "deflect" questions about the figure from the media.

“I quit because I didn’t want to perpetuate misleading facts,” Schwab told the Chronicle. “I asked them to change the information. I told them that the information was wrong, they asked me to deflect, and I didn’t agree with that. Then I took some time and I quit."