Senator takes spontaneous roadtrip with strangers after canceled flight

Senator takes spontaneous roadtrip with strangers after canceled flight
© Greg Nash

Sen. Angus KingAngus KingOvernight Energy: EPA watchdog slams agency chief after deputy fails to cooperate in probe | Justices wrestle with reach of Clean Water Act | Bipartisan Senate climate caucus grows Bipartisan Senate climate caucus grows by six members Senators fear Syria damage 'irreversible' after Esper, Milley briefing MORE (I-Maine) said Thursday that he chose to take a road-trip with four strangers who were also stranded in Washington after a cancelled flight.

King wrote on Instagram that his flight from D.C. to Portland, Maine was cancelled after sitting on the tarmac for an hour.

He made plans to rebook his flight when he met a group of people who were planning to “forget the airlines, rent a car and drive through the night to Maine.”


"You got to be spontaneous," King said in an interview with USA Today. "You got to say 'hey, let's go for it.'"

King wrote that he volunteered to take the last driving shift because he wanted to be behind the wheel when they entered Maine, reaching his home in Brunswick around 6 a.m.

“Takes me back — sharing the driving, trying to find music everyone likes, and chipping for gas,” he added.

The 75-year-old senator shared a photo of his crew shortly after passing Baltimore.

“Two software engineers, a college professor, a lawyer, and a U.S. Senator—what could possibly go wrong?” King wrote before introducing his travel companions. “Left to right, Rebecca Gibbons, Ramon Krikken, his own self, Matt Dusoe, and Tim Schneider.”


He told the outlet that he spent a lot of time asking questions and getting to know his fellow travelers.

"I was just drinking it in," King said. "Put me in a car with four strangers for 10 hours and I'm going to learn a lot."

The 10 p.m. flight that the senator would have waited for was delayed out of D.C.’s Reagan Airport, eventually arriving at its destination at nearly 2:30 a.m.

"It beat us by two hours," he said. "We figured we had a lot more fun than sitting at around the airport for eight hours waiting for the plane to take off."