Senate

McSally backs Pentagon nominee accused of sexual assault

Greg Nash

Sen. Martha McSally (R-Az.), who has spoken of her experience being sexually assaulted in the military, said Tuesday that she does not believe the sexual assault allegation against President Trump’s nominee for vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

McSally said Tuesday at a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee that she had “full confidence” in Gen. John Hyten, who has been accused by Army Col. Kathryn Spletstoser of unwanted sexual advances, including kissing, hugging and rubbing, in 2017.

{mosads}Spletsoser has said Hyten’s advances escalated until he pressed against her in a hotel room and ejaculated on her while kissing her at the Reagan National Defense Forum.

While McSally, who earlier this year spoke of being raped by a superior officer in the Air Force, said she took the allegations “extremely seriously” but that she had reviewed the evidence and concluded “Hyten is innocent.”

“Sexual assault happens in the military. It just didn’t happen here,” she added.

Hyten has denied all the allegations, saying at his confirmation hearing Tuesday “I want to state for you and the American people in the strongest possible terms that these allegations are false. Nothing happened, ever.”

Spletsoser, who testified behind closed doors last week, sat in the front row during Hyten’s hearing on Tuesday.

Tags Donald Trump Martha McSally

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video