Graham: I'm seeking to make Trump successful 'but not at all costs'

Sen. Lindsey GrahamLindsey Olin GrahamSeveral GOP lawmakers express concern over Trump executive orders Graham says he appreciates Trump orders, but 'would much prefer a congressional agreement' Sunday shows preview: White House, congressional Democrats unable to breach stalemate over coronavirus relief MORE (R-S.C.) says he chose to be "reflective" after losing to President TrumpDonald John TrumpDeWine tests negative for coronavirus a second time Several GOP lawmakers express concern over Trump executive orders Beirut aftermath poses test for US aid to frustrating ally MORE in the 2016 Republican primary race.

The longtime Senator appears in a promo video for the next episode of "Axios on HBO."

"[Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonBlumenthal calls for declassification of materials detailing Russian threat to US elections Hillary Clinton roasts NYT's Maureen Dowd over column Hillary Clinton touts student suspended over crowded hallway photo: 'John Lewis would be proud' MORE] was secretary of State, first lady, United States senator. She lost to Donald Trump," Graham tells Axios in the promo."

ADVERTISEMENT

"I lost to Donald Trump," he added.

Graham also tells the news outlet that he chose "to try to find out how to make Trump successful but not at all costs."

Throughout Trump's presidency, Graham has been one of the president's staunchest supporters.

However, Graham — a known defense hawk — was one of Trump's loudest critics after the president decided to remove U.S. troops from the northeastern border of Syria last week.

At the time, Graham said the policy move could end up being the biggest mistake of Trump's presidency if it isn't reversed.

Similarly, the senator, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, showed apprehension over the Turkish cease-fire that was facilitated by Vice President Pence and Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoBeirut aftermath poses test for US aid to frustrating ally Advocacy groups come out against Trump pick for ambassador to Germany US pledges million in disaster aid to Lebanon MORE earlier this week. 

ADVERTISEMENT

General Mazloum Abdi, the commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, "is concerned about the cease-fire holding and was emphatic that he will never agree to the ethnic cleansing of Kurds that is being proposed in Ankara," Graham tweeted.

"A buffer zone is acceptable to the Kurds but a military occupation that displaces hundreds of thousands is not a safe zone. It is ethnic cleansing," he added.

The cease-fire is supposed to last five days, during which Kurdish forces will vacate Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's desired "safe zone."