Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy (D) on Thursday announced he will not run for another term.
"I am today announcing that I will not seek a third term as governor," Malloy said at a news conference in Hartford, the state capital.
"Instead, I will focus all my attention and energy – I will use all of my political capital from now through the end of 2018 – to continue implementing my administration’s vision for a more sustainable and vibrant Connecticut economy."
The former Stamford mayor was first elected governor in 2010. He was reelected in 2014, defeating GOP challenger Tom Foley.
Malloy, who campaigned for former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonLet's 'reimagine' political corruption The Armageddon elections to come Poll: Trump leads 2024 Republican field with DeSantis in distant second MORE last year, has spoken out against actions taken by the Trump administration, including the president's immigration orders.
In February, Malloy told state and local law enforcement that they didn't have to comply with federal requests to detain residents in the country illegally. His memo said state officials should not detain anyone solely on the basis of their immigration status.
A recent Morning Consult poll showed Malloy as one of the most unpopular governors in the country. The poll found the Connecticut governor had an approval rating of just 29 percent, compared to 66 percent who disapproved of him.
This story was updated at 3:01 p.m.