Texas Gov. Greg AbbottGreg AbbottTexas surpasses 4 million COVID-19 cases threshold The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Alibaba - Democrats stare down 'hell' week Texas House Republican tests positive for coronavirus in latest breakthrough case MORE (R) issued a call for action on Friday after a mass shooting at a high school in the state left at least 10 people dead and more injured.
"We need to do more than just pray for the victims and the families," Abbott said at a news conference. "It's time in Texas that we take action to step up and make sure this tragedy is never repeated ever again in the history of the state of Texas."
Abbott, who has long cast himself as a staunch opponent of new gun control measures, said that he would begin working with state lawmakers and communities across Texas on proposals to prevent gun violence in schools.
The governor said he had been planning to unveil several proposals for new gun laws in the state before the shooting took place, with plans on "speeding up background checks" and preventing those "who pose immediate danger" from obtaining firearms, The Dallas Morning News reported.
"We want to hear from everybody who has an interest in what has happened today, so we can work together on putting together laws that will protect Second Amendment rights, but at the same time ensure that our communities and especially our schools are safer places," he said.
Abbott's call for action came hours after a gunman opened fire at Santa Fe High School, near Houston, killing 10 people and injuring 10 others. Authorities identified the suspected shooter as 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a student at the school.
Abbott said earlier on Friday that the guns allegedly used by Pagourtzis to carry out the shooting belonged to his father, who owned them legally.
Police also detained another student on Friday as a person of interest in the case.
Pagourtzis has been charged with capital murder and aggravated assault on a public servant. He made his first appearance in court on Friday.