Massachusetts governor extends stay-at-home advisory through May 4
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R) extended the stay-at-home advisory in his state through the first week of May.
The original order, which closes all nonessential businesses and limits social gatherings to 10 people, took effect last week and was set to expire April 7. The extension is set to last until May 4.
“I want everybody to know that we appreciate the huge impact on our economy and on our daily lives that these decisions have, and they have not been made lightly,” Baker said at a briefing Tuesday.
Baker urged the public to continue following the guidelines to help mitigate the spread of the virus.
“I know this is difficult to hear, but we need everyone to continue to go without being around many of your family and most of your friends for your own health and safety and for the health and safety of your family, your friends and others,” Baker said.
Baker said his own weekly visits with his 91-year-old father have been switched to phone calls.
“I miss him, but that’s just the way it is and it’s the way it should be and it’s the way all of us need to be as purposeful as we can be in dealing with the contagious nature of this virus,” the governor added.