Newark reimposes curfew amid surge in coronavirus cases

Newark reimposes curfew amid surge in coronavirus cases
© Getty Images

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka (D) reportedly announced the institution of a curfew on Monday as city officials fight to gain control over a rapid spread of COVID-19 infections.

Fox 5 New York reported that Baraka said all businesses other than pharmacies, gas stations and grocery stores must close by 8 p.m., though a notice was not immediately posted on the city's website.

"This is not the first time COVID-19 has threatened our city and its residents at this magnitude and once again, we will meet this challenge with determination and guided by data. We are Newark strong and can get through this together. We did it once before and we can do it again," Baraka said.


The announcement comes a day after the mayor warned that the spread of COVID-19 was higher in Newark than in all other areas of the surrounding county. Newark hit 10,000 confirmed cases of the virus on Sunday, according to county health officials, and 672 people in the city have died from the virus.

"Today Newark had more COVID-19 cases than every other city in Essex County combined! We are witnessing a serious spike and tomorrow we will begin taking serious measures. Wear your mask!" he tweeted Sunday.

A request for comment from city officials was not immediately returned.

Other restrictions reportedly put in place Monday include appointment requirements for nail salons and barbershops, as well as a provision ordering gyms to close every other half-hour for sanitizing.

“Until, and even after, a vaccine is made available to every Newarker, the most potent immunization we will have available is a decision to take personal responsibility to obey and model the recommendations that keep us all safe,” said the city's health director, Mark Wade, according to Fox 5. “All of us will need each other to get us through as individuals, neighborhoods, communities and a city, and to save the lives of those we love the most, each other!”

The city previously issued a similar curfew in March to control the virus, which was loosened in early June.