The father of one of the men who was shot and killed during an August Black Lives Matter protest in Kenosha, Wis., slammed President TrumpDonald TrumpFormer Sen. Heller to run for Nevada governor Overnight Defense & National Security — Milley becomes lightning rod Joint Chiefs Chairman Milley becomes lightning rod on right MORE during a Monday hearing for defending teenage shooter Kyle Rittenhouse, saying, "how dare he."
Rittenhouse, 17, was in Kenosha on Aug. 23 following days of protests after video footage went viral that showed a police officer shooting a Black man, Jacob Blake, in the back eight times. Rittenhouse had brought an assault-style rifle across state lines from Illinois, and his representation says he had come to defend local businesses from looters and vandalism.
"Self-defense, that's impossible," John Huber, father of Anthony, said during a video court hearing.
"He had already killed a guy and tried to run. My son was a hero. He tried to stop him. He was a hero. Anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong, including the president. How dare he," Huber added.
Trump declined to denounce Rittenhouse in late August after the fatal incident, saying the teenager was "very violently attacked" and "probably would have been killed" himself if he hadn't fired his gun.
Rittenhouse was extradited to Wisconsin last week after previously challenging the extradition from his hometown of Antioch, Ill.
"Kyle Rittenhouse thinks he's above the law," said Huber. "He's been treated as much by law enforcement. For him to run wouldn't surprise me."
Huber's son struck Rittenhouse with a skateboard before Rittenhouse shot him, though Huber argues his son was trying to diffuse the situation.
Rittenhouse is charged with first-degree intentional homicide in killing two protesters and attempted intentional homicide in the wounding of a third. His bail is set at $2 million.