Police used late officer Talley's handcuffs to arrest Boulder shooting suspect

Police used late officer Talley's handcuffs to arrest Boulder shooting suspect
© Getty Images

The Boulder Police Department said on Thursday that they used deceased officer Eric Talley’s handcuffs to take the shooting suspect, Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, into custody.

Alissa, 21, was arrested and charged with 10 counts of murder in connection with a shooting at a local supermarket in Boulder, Colo., Monday. Police had taken him into custody after he received treatment at a nearby hospital for wounds he sustained during the shooting. 

In a thread posted to Twitter, the Boulder Police Department said that while at the hospital, officers informed Alissa that the handcuffs put on him were those of Talley's. 


“This week several Boulder Police officers & others responded to a local hospital to formally place Monday’s shooting suspect into custody. As they did, officers informed him the handcuffs used that day were those of Officer Eric Talley. The suspect was then taken to jail,” the department tweeted.

“It was our distinct honor to use Officer Talley’s handcuffs to formally process him into the jail,” the department added, along with a photo of Talley's handcuffs. “Though this was a small gesture, we hope it is the start of the healing process that so many of us need at this time."


Talley, 51, was one of the 10 people killed in the Monday shooting at a King Soopers supermarket. Talley was the first police officer to arrive at the scene at around 2:30 p.m. local time. He responded to reports of “a possible person with a patrol rifle." 

Talley had been with the Boulder Police Department since 2010. He was the father to seven children.

“He was looking for a job to keep himself off the front lines and was learning to be a drone operator,” Talley's father, Homer Talley, said in a statement. “He didn’t want to put his family through something like this and he believed in Jesus Christ.”

On Thursday it was reported that Alissa, 21, would be held without bail. Lawyers for Alissa have asked that his next status hearing be delayed by a few months in order for his "mental illness" to be fully assessed. A judge has granted his attorney's request.

If convicted, Alissa faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.