Police apprehend suspect in Kenosha-area tavern shooting that killed 3
Authorities have apprehended a person in connection with a Saturday evening shooting at a tavern near Kenosha, Wis., that left three people dead and three others seriously injured.
The suspect, who was not identified by authorities, will be charged with one count of first-degree intentional homicide, and likely additional criminal charges following further investigation, according to a statement from the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department.
According to authorities, all six victims were males.
In a statement released early Sunday morning, authorities said they do not believe there is a threat to the community, adding that the situation “appears to be a targeted and isolated incident.”
The department noted, in an updated statement released Sunday afternoon, that there is “at least one possible unknown shooting victim.”
According to the Chicago Tribune, authorities said earlier that they were unsure if there was more than one shooter.
The Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department said they responded to reports of a shooting at the Somers House Tavern at 12:42 a.m.
Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth said a suspect was asked to leave the tavern. The person returned later and began firing, the Tribune reported. Beth said the suspect opened fire both inside and outside the bar, which he said was “very busy” at the time of the incident.
Beth said he believes at least one handgun was used, according to the Tribune.
Two people died at the scene, while a third person entered a car with two other people, which was flagged down by a police vehicle moments later. The officer then took the third victim to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Beth said.
Beth said the investigation is complex and involves a number of crime scenes.
“Detectives have followed up on multiple leads and gathered surveillance video evidence during extensive neighborhood canvasses,” he said, according to the newspaper.
In a tweet posted on Sunday, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers (D) called the incident a “senseless tragedy.”
Kathy and I join Wisconsinites in hoping and praying those injured will recover from their injuries. We are thinking of the families and loved ones affected and the entire Kenosha community as they grieve and grapple with yet another tragic incident of gun violence.
— Governor Tony Evers (@GovEvers) April 18, 2021
Kenosha was the scene of protests following the shooting of Jacob Blake by police last year. After months of protests, police announced in January that none of the officers involved would face charges.
Updated on April 19 at 8:41 a.m.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.