Former sheriff's deputy suspected of killing 3 arrested without incident

Former sheriff's deputy suspected of killing 3 arrested without incident

A former deputy with the Travis County Sheriff’s Office in Texas was taken into custody without incident on Monday after police said he killed three people a day earlier in Austin.

Officials with the Manor Police Department told USA Today that 41-year-old Stephen Nicholas Broderick was arrested after several people called 911 about a man walking along a highway near the town of Manor. Broderick was armed at the time of his arrest but did not resist being taken into custody, according to Manor police.

The arrest was confirmed by Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez in a statement obtained by Patch. Hernandez called the shooting "horrific" and said that she was "truly heartbroken" that a former deputy with the sheriff's office was thought to be involved.


Broderick's bail on previous unrelated charged of sexual assault of a child was revoked, USA Today noted, adding that he remains in custody Monday.

The shooting Sunday at an Austin-area apartment building was described as a domestic violence situation by interim Austin Police Chief Joe Chacon, and resulted in two women and one man being killed.

“The victims were all known to this suspect,” Chacon said on Sunday, according to USA Today. “At this point, we do not think this individual is out there targeting random people to shoot. That does not mean he is not dangerous."

Broderick previously served as a detective with the Travis County Sheriff's Office property crimes unit before resigning while facing charges of child sexual assault last year, according to a spokesperson for the sheriff's office.

The triple homicide Sunday was one of several shootings across the U.S. that resulted in multiple victims across a short span of time; others included a shooting at a tavern near Kenosha, Wis., that resulted in three dead and three injured as well as a shooting at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis on Thursday that left eight dead and several others injured.

— Updated at 10:30 a.m.