Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava (D) announced Saturday that five people are now confirmed dead and 156 people are unaccounted for as rescue efforts continue after the collapse of a residential building in Surfside, Fla., on Thursday.
Cava said in a news conference on Saturday that another body had been found in the rubble, as well as human remains. She added that 130 people have now been accounted for.
In addition, three bodies that were previously uncovered in the rubble have been identified, and their next-of-kin have been identified. However, Cava said the names of those individuals will not be released at this time.
Authorities are still conducting search and rescue efforts, Cava said. She added authorities will rely on DNA testing for bodies that are found.
“Our top priority continues to be search and rescue and saving any lives that we can,” Cava said. “And our brave firefighters have been telling us that is the right thing to do, and we stand with that.”
Earlier on Saturday, authorities said that no new survivors had been identified as rescue efforts entered the third day. The collapse of the building led to the demolition of of 55 of the building’s more than 130 units.
President BidenJoe BidenHouse clears bill to provide veterans with cost-of-living adjustment On The Money — Dems dare GOP to vote for shutdown, default To reduce poverty, stop burdening the poor: What Joe Manchin gets wrong about the child tax credit MORE has approved an emergency declaration for the state, and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FEMA) is also aiding in relief efforts.
Sen. Marco RubioMarco Antonio RubioPoll: Trump dominates 2024 Republican primary field Milley says calls to China were 'perfectly within the duties' of his job Overnight Defense & National Security — Milley becomes lightning rod MORE (R-Fla.) said Saturday that the building housed “substantial number” of foreign nationals, adding his office — and other congressional offices — have been working to quickly obtain visas for people that needed to travel.
Rubio said the State Department is also onsite for any future arrangements that need to be made.
The news from the mayor comes after Cava announced earlier Saturday that she ordered an audit of all buildings in the area over 40 years old.
A 2018 structural report on the building released late Friday night warned of “major structural damage” that informed plans for upcoming repairs.