An American journalist who was detained in Myanmar will remain detained after his trial was delayed.
The judge remanded Fenster for another two weeks, and his next hearing is scheduled for July 15.
Fenster, 37, was arrested on May 24 at Yangon International Airport just before he was supposed to board a flight to Malaysia.
The news outlet said that Fenster was arrested because police believed he still worked for Myanmar Now, but he resigned from Myanmar Now in July 2020, and joined Frontier a month later.
Myanmar’s military regime had banned Myanmar Now and other independent media organizations on March 8, but the news outlet still continued to publish content.
A Myanmar court ruled earlier this month that Fenster would stay in prison until July 1, when his court hearing was scheduled.
“Frontier believes Danny has done nothing wrong and we reiterate our call for his immediate and unconditional release,” Frontier said.
Fenster’s lawyer, Than Zaw Aung, told The Associated Press that Fenster was in good health at the hearing, but appeared to have lost the weight. He also said that the case would not go to trial on July 15 because the court was backed up.
The news about Fenster comes after Myanmar released over 2,300 activists and journalists who had been protesting or reporting on the military coup that occurred in February.