Oklahoma boy dies after attempting TikTok ‘blackout challenge’
A 12-year-old Oklahoma boy died Tuesday after attempting to do a new social media challenge on TikTok, NBC affiliate KFOR reported.
The boy reportedly tried the “blackout challenge,” which involves a person choking themselves to the point of unconsciousness. TikTok has been actively removing videos of the trend, saying they violate its community guidelines.
The boy, who has not been identified, was found by police with ligature marks around his neck Monday evening, according to KFOR. The boy was immediately taken to the hospital, where he died early the next morning.
Family members said the child’s death was from the TikTok “blackout” challenge gone wrong.
“It all basically comes down to is where a kid tries to asphyxiate themselves to the point of unconsciousness, and then once they start to gain their consciousness back is when they get a euphoria-like feeling,” Bethany police Lt. Angelo Orefice told reporters, according to WMUR9.
Following the boy’s death, police warned parents about the trend on the social media platform.
“The loss of a loved one is very traumatic to all and our condolences go out to the family,” the Bethany Police Department said in a statement, according to KFOR. “We would like to warn parents to stay involved with their children and take the time to look what they are doing on social media.”
Police say that because of the pandemic’s lockdowns, now more than ever, children are looking to occupy their time.
“Social media is a very influential part of a child’s life and should be heavily scrutinized by parents,” the police said.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.