A group of Democratic governors have called on New York Gov. Andrew CuomoAndrew CuomoNY health chief criticized over state's COVID-19 response resigns Zeldin says he's in remission after treatment for leukemia Letitia James holding private talks on running for New York governor: report MORE (D) to resign in the wake of a report released by state Attorney General Letitia James (D) that found the governor sexually harassed nearly a dozen women.
“We are appalled at the findings of the independent investigation by the New York Attorney General. Governor Cuomo should resign from office,” Govs. Tom WolfTom WolfPennsylvania AG sues to block GOP subpoenas in election probe Pennsylvania GOP authorizes subpoenas in election probe Former US attorney enters race for governor in Pennsylvania MORE (D-Pa..), Phil Murphy (D-N.J.), Ned Lamont (D-Conn.) and Dan McKee (D-R.I.) said in a joint statement on Tuesday afternoon.
The sharp rebuke is the latest in growing number issued by prominent Democrats over the past few hours calling on Cuomo to resign over the bombshell report. It also comes months after Cuomo previously worked with governors within the group to coordinate economic response to the coronavirus pandemic.
A report released by James’s office earlier on Tuesday found the New York governor harassed 11 women.
“The independent investigation has concluded that Gov. Andrew Cuomo sexually harassed multiple women, and in doing so violated federal and state law,” James disclosed at a press conference.
“Specifically, the investigation found that Gov. Andrew Cuomo sexually harassed current and former New York state employees by engaging in unwelcome and nonconsensual touching and making numerous offensive comments of a suggestive and sexual nature that created a hostile work environment for women,” she said.
The report also found that the governor acted in retaliation against a former employee after they came forward with their allegations.
Cuomo has refused to resign in face of the growing calls from fellow members of his party to step down amid blowback over the report.
“The facts are much different than what has been portrayed,” he said on Tuesday.
“First, I want you to know directly from me that I never touched anyone inappropriately or made inappropriate sexual advances. I am 63 years old. I have lived my entire adult life in public view. That is just not who I am, and that’s not who I have ever been,” he also said.