Judge dismisses sexual abuse cases from former Ohio State University students, citing statute of limitations
A federal judge reportedly dismissed cases brought by several former Ohio State University students related to alleged sexual abuse by former OSU athletics team doctor Richard Strauss.
While Judge Michael Watson said it is indisputable the victims “suffered unspeakable sexual abuse,” he granted the university’s motion to dismiss their cases because the statute of limitations had passed, according to NBC News.
Since the statute of limitation in Ohio for rape is 20 years, the case could not move forward, the network noted. Strauss, who committed suicide in 2005, is alleged to have abused the victims from the mid-1970s to the late 1990s.
“If there is a viable path forward for Plaintiffs on their claim against Ohio State, it starts with the legislature rather than the judiciary,” Watson said, according to NBC.
Nearly 180 men have come forward with abuse claims. They alleged that the university knew of the abuse and failed to act, according to Reuters, which cited a May 2019 report released by the college.
In 2019, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) created the task force that wrote the report in response to the allegations against Strauss. Since then, the task force has identified 1,254 closed sexual impropriety cases dating back 25 years. It decided to treat 91 of those cases as active, Reuters reported.
“The university has reached settlement agreements with more than 230 survivors and will continue to cover the cost of professionally certified counseling services and treatment for anyone affected by Strauss,” Ohio State University said on Wednesday, according to Reuters.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.