State Watch

Suspect in deadly Miami shooting arrested 4 months later

A suspect in a Miami banquet hall shooting in May that killed three people and injured 20 was arrested late Thursday, while two other men believed to have been involved in the attack remain at large.

The Miami-Dade Police Department said Friday that it had taken into custody 22-year-old Davonte Barnes and charged him with three counts of first-degree murder and 20 counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon.

According to inmate records, Barnes is being held without bond at the Miami-Dade County Jail.

It was not immediately clear if Barnes had an attorney representing him in the case.

The May attack sparked nationwide attention as it came amid a number of other shootings in Florida and across the country that fueled renewed calls for stricter gun control measures.

Miami-Dade police had previously said that at least three men wearing ski masks exited an SUV and began "shooting indiscriminately into the crowd" gathered at a local banquet hall for a rap show in May.

Surveillance footage from the attack showed people running and others falling to the ground as three men fired their weapons repeatedly before fleeing the scene in an SUV.

Authorities, who said they believed the shooting was likely connected to a rivalry between two groups, have identified the three victims as Desmond Owens and Clayton Dillard III, both 26, and Shankquia Lechelle Peterson, 32.

No other arrests or charges have been filed in the case. 

The day after the shooting, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava (D) announced that police were offering a $130,000 reward for information that could aid in the search for suspects.

"We will leave nothing behind to bring these shooters to justice," she said at a press conference at the time.

Outbrain