Vikings player safe after 911 call, social media posts spark concerns

Authorities said Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen was safe after he refused to come out of his house earlier in the day despite calling 911, prompting authorities and team staff to go to his home.

“Law enforcement agencies have notified us Everson Griffen came out of his home without incident and is now getting the care he needs,” the Vikings said in a statement on Wednesday.

“We are thankful to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, the Carver County Sheriff's Office, the Minnetrista Police Department and the Orono Police Department for their quick response and dedication to ensuring the situation ended peacefully. Our focus remains on Everson's health and safety and providing the proper resources for him and his family.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said in a news conference the team got Griffen necessary help, adding he was in the care of medical professionals. 

"Their family is our family," Spielman told reporters. 

The Minnetrista Public Safety Department (MPSD) had said earlier Wednesday that Griffen called 911 at his residence early in the morning, ESPN reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

Authorities reported that Griffen called because he said someone was in his home, adding he requested assistance and told the 911 dispatcher that he fired his weapon and no one was hurt.

Griffen also made several disturbing now-deleted Instagram posts showing him inside his home brandishing a pistol, claiming the weapon belonged to him. 

"I'm in my house. N----- trying to pop me," Griffen said in the video. "I've still got clips left. This is my gun, .45 Wilson Combat, registered to me. I bought all my bullets around town,” Griffen said in the Instagram posts. 

Authorities along with the Vikings’ team psychologists were communicating with Griffen since the morning, but the star defensive end refused to leave his home for hours.

Authorities said they did not find any intruder at Griffen's residence, ESPN reported.

The four-time Pro Bowl selection took a hiatus from the Vikings in 2018 to focus on his mental health after multiple reported incidents led him to be hospitalized.

— Updated at 7:59 p.m.