State Watch

Maryland resident burns down home in attempt to get rid of snakes

A Maryland homeowner accidentally burned down their house after attempting to smoke out snakes infesting the basement.

The Montgomery County resident used coals in the basement to try to ward off the snakes, WTOP of Washington, D.C., reported.

A fire broke out on Nov. 23 at 10 p.m. Officials said 75 firefighters were called to put out a blaze that had caused more than $1 million in damage.

No one was injured in the fire.

Pete Piringer with the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service told The Washington Post that firefighters found just one snakeskin in the house and one snake that had survived.

But there had been “a lot” of snakes in the house before the fire, he added. 

Tags Fire Firefighters House fire Maryland Montgomery County snake infestation snakes

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video