State Watch

Michigan AG ‘disappointed’ district declined offer to review shooting

Getty Images

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel on Monday said she was “disappointed” that Oxford Community Schools declined her offer to look into the events that led to last week’s shooting, which left four students dead.

“I am extremely disappointed that the school district chose to decline my offer to devote the full resources of the Department of Attorney General to review the events leading up to and on November 30th,” Nessel said in a statement.

“This tragedy demands a united effort from all of us who serve the Oxford community,” she added.

Nessel revealed on Sunday that she had reached out to the Michigan school district to offer her department’s help in conducting a probe into the fatal shooting that took place last week, in addition to the events that led up to it.

She said her attorneys and special agents were “uniquely qualified” to conduct a probe of that magnitude, and that they were “prepared to perform an extensive investigation and inquiry to answer the many questions the community has regarding this tragedy.”

The attorney general revealed on Monday, however, that the school district declined her offer, instead opting to have a private security firm lead the investigation.

“I offered the services of my department because I thought what better agency to conduct such a review than the Michigan Department of Attorney General, and we learned just a short while ago that the school district has turned down our offer, and they said that they’re going to go with a private security firm instead to conduct an internal review,” Nessel said during an interview on CNN’s “Don Lemon Tonight” on Monday.

The attorney general said her office will continue to work with authorities conducting a criminal investigation in Oakland County and speak with parents and students in the area.

“I’m sure they’re going to make their feelings known about the rejection of our offer,” she added, referring to the parents and students of Oxford High School.

Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year-old student, is accused of opening fire at the school on Nov. 30 and killing four students. He is facing 24 felony counts in connection to the incident.

His parents are also facing charges in connection to the shooting. Jennifer and James Crumbley were both charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said the parents were charged because they were present when James Crumbley purchased the weapon for his son. She also pointed to a social media post by Jennifer Crumbley about the weapon purchase as a Christmas present.

Teachers reported concerns about Crumbley’s behavior in the days before the shooting took place, and school authorities met with the student and his parents on the morning of the fatal incident.

Crumbley, however, was allowed to remain at school after the meeting.

Tags Don Lemon

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video