Dodgers pitcher won’t face charges after sexual assault claim
Pitcher Trevor Bauer of the Los Angeles Dodgers will not face charges after being accused of sexual assault by a San Diego woman in April and May of last year, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office announced the decision Tuesday after a review of the Pasadena police investigation into the allegations that lasted five months.
“After a thorough review of all the available evidence including the civil restraining order proceedings, witness statements and the physical evidence — the People are unable to prove the relevant charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” the statement released by the district attorney said. “Those charges were assault by means likely to cause great bodily harm, sodomy of a sleeping person and domestic violence.”
The district attorney reviewed messages sent between Bauer and the woman along with Pasadena police files.
It is unclear whether Major League Baseball will choose to suspend Bauer.
The league said in a statement made after the district attorney’s decision: “MLB’s investigation is ongoing, and we will comment further at the appropriate time.”
The Dodgers released a similar statement, saying that the team would not comment on the situation until the MLB’s investigation was completed.
Bauer released a video after the decision on YouTube titled “The Truth” where he claimed, “My version of events has not wavered, because it is the truth.”
“I also have not materially misled the court, as it was found that this woman did,” he added.
“I never assaulted her in any way, at any time,” Bauer asserted in the video. “And, while we did have consensual rough sex, the disturbing acts and conduct she described simply did not occur.”
Bauer was placed on paid leave from July 2 until the end of the 2021 baseball season while MLB investigated the accusations.