Trump confuses San Diego mayor for Oakland mayor in complaint about tipping off ICE raid

Trump confuses San Diego mayor for Oakland mayor in complaint about tipping off ICE raid

President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: I hope voters pay attention to Dem tactics amid Kavanaugh fight South Korea leader: North Korea agrees to take steps toward denuclearization Graham calls handling of Kavanaugh allegations 'a drive-by shooting' MORE on Friday complained about the mayor of San Diego tipping off residents about a planned Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operation, when it was actually the mayor of Oakland who issued the warning. 

Trump made the comments while speaking at Angel Families, an event for people who have lost family members to crimes committed by people in the country illegally. 

ADVERTISEMENT

"Where is the condemnation of the Democrats’ sanctuary cities that release violent criminals into our communities and then protect them like the mayor of San Diego, when she warned everybody that ICE is coming and they scattered," Trump said. 

Trump added that he has been calling for the mayor to be investigated for weeks. 

Trump seemed to be referencing Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf (D), who, earlier this year, warned the city's immigrant residents about upcoming ICE raids. ICE claimed that Schaaf's warning precluded the agency from detaining about 800 immigrants considered to be "public safety threats."

Trump, in April, said Schaaf was guilty of obstruction of justice. 

"How about the mayor of Oakland, where she tells a thousand people to 'get going, law enforcement's coming to get you.' And this was all planned. And many of them scattered," Trump said.

"To me that's obstruction of justice, and something should happen there. And it hasn't and I don't know why it hasn't."

Schaaf has previously said she does not regret alerting immigrant residents and instructing them to "prepare, not panic" ahead of the raid.

Trump's comments come amid a week of intense bipartisan scrutiny faced by his administration for its "zero tolerance" immigration policy.

The policy, announced in April, seeks to expedite the prosecution of migrants who cross into the U.S. illegally via the southern border. The practice, initially labeled a deterrence measure by Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsSessions: DOJ concerned about suppression of free speech on college campuses Faith communities are mobilizing against Trump’s family separation policy Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe lands book deal MORE and other Trump administration officials, drew widespread condemnation for resulting in the separation of thousands of migrant children from their families.

Trump, bowing to intensifying pressure from both sides of the aisle to stop such separations, signed an executive order on Wednesday to halt the practice. The order did not offer details on the futures of children already separated from their parents, but The Associated Press reported Friday that, of the more than 2,000 children who were separated, nearly 500 have been returned to their families. 

The president continues to call for increased border security and has vowed to keep in place his zero tolerance policy. Under the policy, the government can only detain families together for "up to 20 days" while adults await court dates.