Los Angeles approves $10M in funds to aid separated migrant children
The city of Los Angeles has approved $10 million in funding for legal aid for immigrant children separated from their families at the southern border.
ABC News reported that the Los Angeles City Council and county Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to expand eligibility for the LA Justice Fund, a public-private partnership established last year to help immigrants facing deportation proceedings.
The development comes as the Trump administration continues to face heightened scrutiny for its “zero tolerance” immigration policy, despite efforts by President Trump to quell backlash over migrant family separations.
In a statement, Mayor Eric Garcetti said the city is “answering cruelty with compassion.”
“No child should endure the trauma of being separated from their parents or the terror of not knowing if they will ever see their families again,” Garcetti said Tuesday.
“I am grateful for the City Council’s partnership and swift action, because we must do everything possible to reunify these families now. Los Angeles is answering cruelty with compassion — by giving hope and assistance to people in desperate need,” he continued.
Trump garnered a wave of public outcry last month as images and audio clips of migrant children separated from their families began to circulate.
Between April and May, the Trump administration’s zero tolerance policy — which seeks to aggressively prosecute those illegally crossing into the U.S. at the souther border — led to thousands of children being separated from their parents.
Under intense public pressure, the president issued an executive order last week reversing the policy of separating immigrant families, instead allowing most parents and children to be detained together. The order, however, made no provision for those who had already been separated under the initial order.