SPONSORED:

Feds expect to charge scores more in connection to Capitol riot

Federal prosecutors said in court filings Thursday they expect to charge at least 100 more people in connection with the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, Reuters reports.

"Over 400 individuals have been charged in connection with the Capitol attack," federal prosecutors said in the court filing. "The investigation continues and the government expects that at least one hundred additional individuals will be charged."

"The investigation and prosecution of the Capitol attack will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence," the Department of Justice said in a set of court filings asking judges to postpone prosecution deadlines.

Hundreds of people stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 seeking to disrupt Congress's certification of President BidenJoe BidenBiden's quiet diplomacy under pressure as Israel-Hamas fighting intensifies Overnight Defense: Administration approves 5M arms sale to Israel | Biden backs ceasefire in call with Netanyahu | Military sexual assault reform push reaches turning point CDC mask update sparks confusion, opposition MORE's Electoral College victory. The breach resulted in the deaths of five people and sent lawmakers scrambling for cover, delaying the count by hours as supporters of former President TrumpDonald TrumpGOP-led Maricopa County board decries election recount a 'sham' Analysis: Arpaio immigration patrol lawsuit to cost Arizona county at least 2 million Conservatives launch 'anti-cancel culture' advocacy organization MORE ransacked the building.

Reuters notes the FBI has become increasingly focused on far-right extremist groups like the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers as it continues to investigate the Capitol breach. More than 40 members of the groups have been arrested so far.

Jon Ryan Schaffer, a founding member of the Oath Keepers, became the first defendant from the Capitol riots to plead guilty last week. He pleaded guilty to one count of obstruction of an official proceeding and one count of entering a restricted building with a weapon.