Fox News host Sean Hannity on Tuesday shared a story that urges people to boycott companies that advertise on Rachel Maddow’s MSNBC show.
Hannity retweeted a story from conservative blog Media Equalizer that sides with him in the wake of advertisers pulling ads from his Fox show and calls for pressure on those that advertise on MSNBC.
Wow...this is interesting... https://t.co/xC302wo6CQ— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 30, 2017
"To counteract these fascistic tactics, #StoptheScalpings has decided to fight fire with fire," the Media Equalizer story says. "As long as Media Matters continues to attack conservatives, we will return them the same kindness."
"We begin with Rachel Maddow who has been the biggest purveyor of lies and propaganda in the media today. Like Media Matters, we will now inform the public and the advertisers about who they are financing," it continues.
"While we prefer not to be involved in this type of effort, we need to be on equal footing. We will continue to announce the advertisers that finance these efforts and support these hosts who allow lies and conspiracy theories to permeate the airwaves." The Media Equalizer article includes contact info for companies that advertise on Maddow's show.
Hannity earlier this month said he opposed boycott efforts when conservatives tried a similar pressure campaign on late-night host Stephen Colbert.
“I will NOT support #FireColbert. I am vs ALL BOYCOTTS. He is a horrible human being, but if u don't like him change the channel,” he tweeted at the time, adding, “Boycotts, demands to fire people who make political comments you disagree with, this is what the left is doing to conservatives.”
Hannity lost seven advertisers last week following his coverage of a conspiracy theory regarding the murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich. He announced he will no longer cover the Rich story "for now."
The loss of advertisers came not long after Media Matters published a list of Hannity advertisers as part of a pressure campaign.
Fox's Bill O'Reilly lost more than 50 advertisers in less than a week after an April New York Times report that five women had been paid a total of $13 million to settle sexual harassment claims against him. The network ousted the top-rated host cable news host of 15 years shortly after.