Government watchdog adds security clearance process to ‘high risk list'

Government watchdog adds security clearance process to ‘high risk list'
© Getty Images

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) is adding the federal security screening process to its “high risk list" of government procedures in need of significant reform. 

The decision, announced Thursday morning, comes after revelations about the government awarding security clearances to individuals with criminal backgrounds and suspicious financial dealings.

ADVERTISEMENT

GAO comptroller general Gene Dodaro positioned the decision as an effort to limit unauthorized leaks of classified information and to weed out individuals with criminal histories or questionable backgrounds.

The announcement came one day after the Defense Department released a report showing that the government revoked security clearances of 165 defense contractors last year, many whom further investigations showed had “pre-existing issues” that initial checks had not picked up. 

The way in which the federal government vets individuals to handle sensitive government data has long attracted scrutiny from lawmakers on Capitol Hill, particularly as a result of the significant case backlog and lack of transparency surrounding the process.

As of September, the federal government faced a 700,000-case backlog across agencies and departments.

The government’s screening process has also attracted scrutiny as a result of high-profile leaks of classified information. Last June, a pair of bipartisan senators pressed the Office of Personnel Management for details about the handling of the security clearance for Reality Winner, a government contractor accused of leaking classified files to a news outlet.

More recently, the process has attracted attention from Democrats amid reports that Jared KushnerJared Corey KushnerPresident tweets 'few work harder' than Ivanka, Jared PETA billboard in Baltimore calls Kushner a 'rich pest' Top immigration aide experienced 'jolt of electricity to my soul' when Trump announced campaign MORE, President TrumpDonald John TrumpThe Hill's Campaign Report: Democratic field begins to shrink ahead of critical stretch To ward off recession, Trump should keep his mouth and smartphone shut Trump: 'Who is our bigger enemy,' Fed chief or Chinese leader? MORE’s senior adviser and son-in-law, is still operating with an interim clearance.

“A high-quality and timely personnel security clearance process is essential to minimize the risks of unauthorized disclosures of classified information and to help ensure that information about individuals with criminal histories or other questionable behavior is identified and assessed,” Dodaro said in a statement. 

“Our objective for the High Risk List is to bring attention to policymakers of the need for action sooner, rather than later,” Dodaro said. “Renewed and strong top leadership commitment will be critical to facilitate progress in reducing the backlog and completing key improvements to the personnel security clearance process.”

Sen. Mark WarnerMark Robert WarnerLawmakers sound alarm on China's disinformation campaign in Hong Kong Facebook users in lawsuit say company failed to warn them of known risks before 2018 breach New intel chief inherits host of challenges MORE (D-Va.), the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a statement that the move demonstrates that the current system is “broken.”

“It is a disservice to the people who support critical national security functions, and it is a disservice to the American people,” Warner said in a statement. “We can and should reform the clearance process by making use of new technologies and information sources.”