Greg Nash

The Pentagon is planning to request about $6 billion more in war funding to pay for troop activity in Iraq, Afghanistan and other war costs, according to its comptroller. 

{mosads}Pentagon Comptroller Mike McCord told Bloomberg that as much as $3 billion would be used to retain 8,400 troops in Afghanistan through next year instead of drawing down to 5,500 as previously planned.  

The money would also pay for three gradual increases in U.S. troop levels in Iraq earlier this year. The official authorized level is 5,262, though there are about 800 to 900 more who serve on temporary duty and aren’t counted in those numbers. 

The request will also address an urgent call from field commanders to counter drones employed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), McCord said.  

Last month, ISIS rigged a drone with an explosive that killed Kurdish peshmerga forces and seriously injured French troops in northern Iraq. 

The Pentagon hopes the funding request will arrive to Congress shortly after the presidential election on Tuesday, in time to be included in an omnibus spending bill before the current stopgap measure runs out in early December. 

After President Obama announced he would keep 8,400 troops in Afghanistan, versus 5,500, Republican lawmakers said it would require more war funding, on top of the $59 billion that was requested. 

Tags

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video