Secretary of State Rex TillersonRex Wayne TillersonThe Hill's Morning Report - Presented by AT&T - Supreme Court lets Texas abortion law stand Trump-era ban on travel to North Korea extended Want to evaluate Donald Trump's judgment? Listen to Donald Trump MORE on Sunday stressed that the U.S. wants to come to a peaceful solution to the North Korean threat but warned that a military option is a last resort.
During an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation," Tillerson said the U.S. strategy involves a "peaceful pressure campaign" on Pyongyang.
That campaign is built around putting together an international coalition to "send a message to North Korea" and its neighbors that "this is the policy of the rest of the world," Tillerson said.
"All of that designed to bring North Korea to the table for constructive, productive dialogue," he said.
"If our diplomatic efforts fail, though, our military option will be the only one left."
He added: "To be clear, we seek a peaceful solution to this."
His comments come after North Korea on Friday fired another ballistic missile over Japan.
The move further escalated tensions in the region after North Korea conducted a nuclear test earlier this month.