Saudi Arabia reports deadly missile attack from Yemen

Saudi Arabia reports deadly missile attack from Yemen

Saudi Arabia's state news agency on Sunday reported that at least one person is dead after a missile attack launched against the capital of Riyadh by Houthi rebels in Yemen.

The Saudi Press Agency reported that at least one person was killed and two others were injured after the attack, according to The Associated Press.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Saudi air force said earlier that it had intercepted a missile over the capital, and the attack had been targeting the King Khalid International Airport, Reuters reported.

The report comes three years after the beginning of the war in Yemen, where U.S.-backed Saudi forces have launched an offensive against the Houthis, Shiite rebels who had forced President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to leave the country.

Houthi rebels reportedly fired a missile toward Riyadh late last year. U.S. officials said the missile was manufactured by Iran.

The report of the attack also comes after the kingdom's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman visited Washington, where he met with President TrumpDonald TrumpWendy Sherman takes leading role as Biden's 'hard-nosed' Russia negotiator Senate needs to confirm Deborah Lipstadt as antisemitism envoy — Now Former acting Defense secretary under Trump met with Jan. 6 committee: report MORE and Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisTrump's 'Enemies List' — end of year edition The US can't go back to business as usual with Pakistan The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Senate nears surprise deal on short-term debt ceiling hike MORE

The State Department on Thursday announced that it had approved $1 billion in arms sales to Saudi Arabia.