The United States is opposing a proposal by North and South Korea to create a no-fly zone above the border between the two countries, Reuters reported on Thursday.
U.S. officials are concerned that the no-fly zone proposal, which is part of an agreement between North and South Korea reached during a summit last month in Pyongyang, could hinder defense readiness, according to Reuters, which cited two unidentified sources. The officials also worry that it would be enacted without progress on denuclearization, the news service noted.
South Korea’s foreign minister, Kang Kyung-wha, told Reuters that U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo recently expressed “discontent” with the agreement between North and South Korea, which Reuters reported includes the no-fly zone and "a gradual removal of landmines and guard posts within the Demilitarised Zone."
Sources told Reuters that the no-fly zone is of concern to the U.S. because it would prevent airborne training missions in the area.
The no-fly zone is scheduled to go into effect Nov. 1.
Lt. Col. Christopher Logan, a Pentagon spokesman did not comment to Reuters on the agreement between North and South Korea, but said the Defense Department supports efforts to scale back military tensions.
The Pentagon “remains in full support of our diplomats as they work to achieve the verified denuclearization of the DPRK as agreed to by Chairman Kim (Jong Un),” Logan said.