Top US Afghan commander drew his sidearm during this week's attack: report

Top US Afghan commander drew his sidearm during this week's attack: report
© Getty Images

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan reportedly drew his sidearm during the deadly attack this week on top U.S. and Afghan military leaders.

A coalition member told CNN in an article published Friday that Gen. Scott Miller drew but did not fire his gun.

ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. military officials said they could not immediately recall another case in which a senior military officer was required to draw their weapon.

The Thursday attack happened during a high-level meeting at Kandahar Palace. A gunman wearing an Afghan army uniform opened fire on officials meeting with Miller, killing Gen. Abdul Raziq, the region’s police chief, and intelligence chief Gen. Abdul Momin, as well as wounding two Americans. The shooter was shot and killed by U.S. troops.

Miller, who was not in the direct line of fire, said he doesn’t believe that he was the target.

But the Taliban later said the attack, which caused the delay of elections in Kandahar, was directed at Raziq and Miller, who took over last month as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, replacing Gen. John Nicholson. 

Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisPentagon watchdog probing whether acting chief boosted Boeing Overnight Defense: Judge says Trump can't implement transgender policy | Trump floats admitting Brazil to NATO | Mattis returning to Stanford Mattis returning to Stanford months after Pentagon resignation MORE told reporters traveling with him in Singapore that Raziq’s death was “a tragic loss for Afghanistan,” but said he doesn’t “see it having a long-term effect” on the country.

“We remain absolutely committed to an Afghan-led Afghan reconciliation,” Mattis said. “We need to find who’s done this, but right now, we are going toward the election and we will continue to defend the Afghan people.”