Trump, in reversal, calls for Pentagon to raise budget request to $750B: reports

President TrumpDonald John TrumpChelsea Clinton announces birth of third child Ukrainian officials and Giuliani are sharing back-channel campaign information: report Trump attacks 'the Squad' as 'racist group of troublemakers' MORE is reportedly calling for the Pentagon to raise its budget request for next year to $750 billion, significantly more than he previously wanted and $12 billion more than top military officials have been pushing for. 

Trump in a tweet last week appeared to call the Department of Defense's current budget of $716 billion "crazy," and he has been pushing for a 5 percent cut to its budget as he seeks to trim spending across the federal agencies. 

ADVERTISEMENT

But Trump reportedly changed his mind after a Tuesday meeting at the White House involving Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisThe Hill's Morning Report — Mueller Time: Dems, GOP ready questions for high-stakes testimony This week: Mueller dominates chaotic week on Capitol Hill Watchdog: Former Pentagon spokeswoman misused staff for personal errands MORE and the chairmen of the House and Senate Armed Services committees, Rep. Mac ThornberryWilliam (Mac) McClellan ThornberryHillicon Valley: Intel chief creates new election security position | Privacy groups want role in new tech task force | Republicans urge Trump not to delay Pentagon cloud contract Republican lawmakers ask Trump not to delay Pentagon cloud-computing contract House and Senate head for showdown on must-pass defense bill MORE (R-Texas) and Sen. James InhofeJames (Jim) Mountain InhofeSenate panel advances Pentagon chief, Joint Chiefs chairman nominees Trump's pick to lead Pentagon glides through confirmation hearing Trump says US will not sell Turkey F-35s after Russian missile defense system purchase MORE (R-Okla.), Politico first reported.

"It’s 750 [billion]," an administration official familiar with the discussions told Politico. "Secretary Mattis secured that over lunch with the president. That’s the top line." CNN confirmed the report.

Mattis and other top defense officials have been seeking a $733 billion budget for fiscal 2020 as the president has floated a $700 billion budget. That number is now substantially higher, Politico and CNN reported.

"The President fully supports the National Defense Strategy and continuing to rebuild the military," an administration official told CNN. "With the help of Sen. Inhofe and Chairman Thornberry, President Trump agreed to $750 billion topline." 

The White House, Pentagon and Inhofe did not immediately respond to The Hill's requests for comment.

The $750 billion figure has not been announced officially yet. The Pentagon is continuing to move forward with a $733 billion proposal, Politico reported.

“There was a discussion with POTUS about how to get $733 billion, and POTUS suggested that if the position is $733 billion, then we should submit a budget at $750 billion as a negotiating tactic,” a source familiar with the discussions told Politico. “That said, the president changes his mind constantly."