2 Americans captured in Syria fighting for ISIS

Two Americans fighting for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have been captured, the Syrian Democratic Forces announced in a statement Sunday.

Warren Christopher Clark and Zaid Abed al-Hamid were among five people captured during an operation in Syria, according to the statement. The others captured were from Ireland and Pakistan. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The Syrian Democratic Forces said in their announcement that the operation was carried out after the "group of terrorists" had been detected.

"Recently, in order to prevent the advance of our forces, terrorists have attempted to carry out attacks several times. In this context, a group of terrorists who had been preparing to attack the civilians who were trying to get out of the war zone in masses was detected," the statement reads.

"Following long-term technical and physical follow-up, an operation against the cell was carried out by our forces. As a result of the operation, 5 terrorists originally from the United States, Ireland and Pakistan were captured," the statement continues.

If they are extradited to the U.S., Clark and al-Hamid would become the 15th and 16th American adults to return to the U.S. after joining ISIS, according to The New York Times.

The Times also reported that Clark submitted a cover letter and a resume to ISIS seeking a position with the terrorist organization.

“Dear Director, I am looking to get a position teaching English to students in the Islamic State," Clark reportedly wrote in the letter. “I believe that a successful teacher can understand a student’s strengths and weaknesses and is able to use that understanding to help students build on their understanding of the English language.”

Col. Scott Rawlinson, a spokesman for the U.S.-led military coalition in Baghdad, told the Times in an email that the coalition is “aware of open source reports of reportedly American citizens currently in custody believed to be fighting for ISIS.” 

“However, we are unable to confirm this information at this time,” he said. “The incident is under investigation.”

President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump mocks wind power: 'When the wind doesn't blow, just turn off the television' Pentagon investigator probing whether acting chief boosted former employer Boeing Trump blasts McCain, bemoans not getting 'thank you' for funeral MORE last month announced that the U.S. would withdraw its roughly 2,000 troops in Syria fighting ISIS, a decision that prompted the resignation of Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisPentagon watchdog probing whether acting chief boosted Boeing Overnight Defense: Judge says Trump can't implement transgender policy | Trump floats admitting Brazil to NATO | Mattis returning to Stanford Mattis returning to Stanford months after Pentagon resignation MORE.