Pentagon asks DHS to justify moving funds for Trump's border wall

The Pentagon said Thursday that it has asked the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a priorities list to justify using military funds to build President TrumpDonald John TrumpDem lawmaker says Electoral College was 'conceived' as way to perpetuate slavery Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals to visit White House on Monday Transportation Dept requests formal audit of Boeing 737 Max certification MORE's desired border wall.

“We’ve asked DHS for input facts, data, priorities; we are waiting to receive those,” acting Defense Secretary Patrick ShanahanPatrick Michael ShanahanOvernight Defense: Pentagon lists construction projects at risk from emergency declaration | Officials deny report on leaving 1,000 troops in Syria | Spy budget request nears B Pentagon sends Congress list of projects that could lose funds to Trump's emergency declaration Mulvaney: Military projects impacted by wall funding haven't been decided yet MORE told reporters at the Pentagon.

“When we do, we will then ... match that with our mission analysis and begin the process I think I've described to many of you.”

The Military Times first reported Thursday that the Pentagon asked DHS for such a list in a Feb. 18 memo. The document asks for locations where border wall construction would improve the “effectiveness" of military troops deployed there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Shanahan also told reporters that Pentagon officials will brief lawmakers on Capitol Hill on Friday “on the way forward and to give people a sense of not just the activities we are going to undertake but [also] the timing.”

Trump announced last week that he would declare a national emergency to construct a border wall after Congress included only $1.375 billion for physical barriers along the border in a massive government funding bill — well below the $5.7 billion the president requested.

The president is seeking to redirect $3.6 billion from the military construction funds budget for construction of a border wall. That represents one-third of the more than $11 billion Congress authorized and appropriated for the fund in the fiscal 2019 defense budget.

Lawmakers were startled by the potential move and had urged Trump prior to last Friday’s announcement not to divert the Pentagon dollars.

House Armed Services Committee ranking member Mac ThornberryWilliam (Mac) McClellan ThornberryPentagon: Trump's 'cost plus 50' plan hasn't been discussed with Europe Top Republican says B in Pentagon budget for wall should go to defense Overnight Defense: Trump seeks 0B for defense in 2020 budget | Lawmakers invite NATO chief to address Congress | Top envoy says North Korea denuclearization can't be done 'incrementally' MORE (R-Texas) said in a statement last week that moving such funds for the wall “would have detrimental consequences for our troops.”