A top commander in charge of the U.S. prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, has been fired following an investigation, U.S. Southern Command confirmed to The Hill on Sunday.
Rear Adm. John Ring has been relieved because of a "loss of confidence in his ability" to serve as commander, Southern Command, which is responsible for the prison, said in a statement.
"This change in leadership will not interrupt the safe, humane, legal care and custody provided to the detainee population at GTMO," Southern Command spokeswoman Col. Amanda Azubuike said.
His deputy, Brig. Gen. John Hussey, has been named acting commander.
Azubuike denied to The New York Times that the decision was connected to hosting a news media visit at the prison, saying the investigation had been completed before the visit.
Ring, the former commander of the aircraft carrier Nimitz, was assigned as the prison’s 18th commander in April 2018 and was due to be replaced by Rear Adm. Timothy Kuehhas.
About 40 prisoners remain at the military facility at Guantánamo Bay, which held a total of 780 detainees since being established in 2002.
While former President Obama pledged to close the detention center, President TrumpDonald TrumpJury in Jussie Smollett trial begins deliberations Pence says he'll 'evaluate' any requests from Jan. 6 panel Biden's drug overdose strategy pushes treatment for some, prison for others MORE signed an executive order in January 2018 to keep it open.
Updated: 8:54 p.m.