US identifies remains of more American soldiers from North Korea

US identifies remains of more American soldiers from North Korea
© Getty

The Pentagon announced Tuesday it has identified a total of six troops from the remains North Korea gave the U.S. last year from the Korean War.

Lt. Col. Ken Hoffman, a spokesman for the U.S. Defense POW/MIA Account Agency (DPAA), told Reuters that four families have been notified of the remains while two had still yet to be notified.

North Korea gave the U.S. 55 boxes of human remains last year as part of nuclear negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington. President TrumpDonald John TrumpCNN's Anderson Cooper: Trump's Bubba Wallace tweet was 'racist, just plain and simple' Beats by Dre announces deal with Bubba Wallace, defends him after Trump remarks Overnight Defense: DOD reportedly eyeing Confederate flag ban | House military spending bill blocks wall funding MORE released the identities of the first two troops in September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong UnKim Jong UnWill the real Kim Yo Jong stand up? North Korea nixes idea of more talks with US Trump's Mount Rushmore stunt will backfire MORE committed after their first nuclear summit in June last year to recover the remains of troops killed in the Korean War. North Korea handed over the 55 boxes a month later, a move Trump hailed as a sign of progress. 

The DPAA, which works to retrieve the remains of U.S. service members around the world, said earlier this year it had not heard from North Korea since February, when the second nuclear summit between Washington and Pyongyang collapsed without an agreement. It said it had suspended efforts for 2019 to recover the estimated 5,300 Americans believed to be lost in what is modern-day North Korea.

Forensic anthropologists are examining the remains at a facility on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, which acting Defense Secretary Patrick ShanahanPatrick Michael ShanahanHouse Armed Services chairman expresses confidence in Esper amid aircraft carrier coronavirus crisis Boeing pleads for bailout under weight of coronavirus, 737 fallout Esper's chief of staff to depart at end of January MORE visited on Tuesday, according to Reuters.