Saudi Arabia joins US in blaming Iran for oil tanker attacks

Saudi Arabia joins US in blaming Iran for oil tanker attacks

Saudi Arabia is joining the U.S. in blaming Iran for an attack on two oil tankers. 

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said on Sunday that last week's attack “confirms the importance of our demands of the international community to take a decisive stance” against Iran's actions, The Associated Press reported, citing remarks he made to Arabic-language newspaper Asharq al-Awsa. 

“The kingdom does not seek war in the region,” he said. “But we will not hesitate to deal with any threat to our people, sovereignty and vital interests.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He added that Iran planned the timing of the incident in response to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's diplomatic trip to Tehran, according to the AP. 

“The problem is in Tehran and not anywhere else,” the prince said. “Iran is always the party that’s escalating in the region, carrying out terrorist attacks and criminal attacks either directly or through its militias.”

Iran has denied involvement in the attacks. 

The U.S. has said that Iran used limpet mines on the tankers, and released footage that officials say depicts an Iranian Revolutionary Guard vessel removing a mine from a Japanese tanker. The tanker's crew, however, has reportedly said that “flying objects” were responsible. 

Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoTrump: Let Assad, Russia or China protect the Kurds Reporter presses Pompeo on whether he met with Giuliani in Warsaw Pompeo: 'I wish the NBA would acknowledge' China's treatment of Uyghur Muslims MORE doubled down on blaming Iran on Sunday, saying in a "Fox News Sunday" appearance that it is  "unmistakable what happened here."