UK, France and Germany blame Iran for Saudi oil facility attacks

UK, France and Germany blame Iran for Saudi oil facility attacks
© Getty Images

The United Kingdom, France and Germany released a joint statement Monday blaming Iran for the attacks on two oil facilities in Saudi Arabia earlier this month.

The three countries, all of which remain signatories to the 2015 Iran deal, said “there is no other plausible explanation” other than that “Iran bears responsibility for this attack.”

ADVERTISEMENT

"We support ongoing investigations to establish further details," they added.

Tensions in the Middle East have been high since two Saudi oil refineries were hit by drones and cruise missiles on Sept. 14, affecting roughly 5 percent of the global crude output.

The U.S. and Saudi Arabia quickly blamed Iran for the strikes.

Tehran has denied those allegations, while Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen have claimed they are responsible for the attacks.

Saudi officials have said that preliminary evidence indicates the weapons used in the attack were Iranian and that the strikes did not originate from Yemen.