FBI identifies Pensacola shooter as Saudi Royal Saudi Air Force second lieutenant

 FBI identifies Pensacola shooter as Saudi Royal Saudi Air Force second lieutenant
© Getty Images

The FBI on Saturday night officially identified the suspect in a Friday shooting at a naval air base in Florida as a Saudi Royal Air Force second lieutenant. 

The FBI's Jacksonville branch told The Hill in an email that the shooter was Mohammed Alshamrani, 21.

The organization described him as a "2nd LT in the Royal Saudi Air Force who was a student naval flight officer of Naval Aviation Schools Command."

ADVERTISEMENT

The FBI is not currently aware of any additional threats to Pensacola.

Three people and the shooter were killed and several additional people were injured in a shooting Friday at the air base. 

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantisRonald Dion DeSantisFlorida Supreme Court rules convicted felons must pay fines, fees before voting Florida moves to purchase land to protect Everglades from oil drilling Top Latino group: Trump is about to hold a 'fake Christian campaign rally' MORE (R) has previously said that the person was part of the Saudi Air Force

President TrumpDonald John TrumpCNN's Don Lemon explains handling of segment after Trump criticism NPR reporter after Pompeo clash: Journalists don't interview government officials to score 'political points' Lawyer says Parnas can't attend Senate trial due to ankle bracelet MORE told reporters Saturday that he spoke with Saudi Arabia's King Salman and that "they are devastated in Saudi Arabia" over the incident. 

He said that the king will be "involved in taking care of families and loved ones."

The Associated Press reported Friday that officials were investigating whether the incident was terrorism-related, but Defense Secretary Mark EsperMark EsperGOP Foreign Affairs leaders join pushback against potential troop drawdown in Africa Overnight Defense: US military jet crashes in Afghanistan | Rocket attack hits US embassy in Baghdad | Bolton bombshell rocks impeachment trial Overnight Defense: Veterans group seeks Trump apology for comments on brain injuries | Pentagon says dozens of troops suffered traumatic injuries after attack | Trump unveils Space Force logo MORE said Saturday that he is not characterizing the attack as terrorism "at this time."

Officials have previously said that the gunman was at the base for aviation training. Following that news, Florida Sen. Rick Scott (R) has called for a review of military programs to train foreign nationals.