Brennan takes final shot at Trump: 'I leave his fate to our judicial system, his infamy to history, & his legacy to a trash heap'

Former CIA Director John BrennanJohn Owen BrennanThis Thanksgiving, skip the political food fights and talk UFOs instead In dramatic shift, national intelligence director does not rule out 'extraterrestrial' origins for UFOs Durham's latest indictment: More lines drawn to Clinton's campaign MORE, a vocal Trump critic, on Monday took to Twitter to announce that he now plans “to ignore Trump,” and will “leave his fate to our judicial system, his infamy to history, & his legacy to a trash heap.”

“For four years, I spoke out vigorously against Donald Trump’s craven dishonesty, corrupt pursuit of personal interests, & trampling of our democratic principles,” Brennan, who served under the Obama administration, began in a series of tweets. “After serving over three decades in national security, I felt compelled to condemn Trump’s depravity & incompetence.”

“My outspokenness has brought criticism, retaliation by the Trump Administration, & threats by those blinded by Trump’s demagoguery,” he continued. “Yes, it is unusual for a former CIA Director to speak out, but when an autocrat descended upon the White House, silence was not an option for me.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I now plan to ignore Trump,” Brennan added. “I leave his fate to our judicial system, his infamy to history, & his legacy to a trash heap.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan called for “strong bipartisan support” for the national security policies that will come from the administration of President-elect Joe BidenJoe BidenMarcus Garvey's descendants call for Biden to pardon civil rights leader posthumously GOP grapples with chaotic Senate primary in Pennsylvania ​​Trump social media startup receives commitment of billion from unidentified 'diverse group' of investors MORE and Vice President-elect Kamala HarrisKamala HarrisJoe Manchin should embrace paid leave — now The Hill's 12:30 Report: Biden defends disappointing jobs report Harris's office undergoes difficult reset MORE once they take office in January. 

On Monday, Biden announced a list of people he intends to nominate to head up his national security team, including Antony Blinken, a longtime foreign policy adviser, to serve as secretary of State; Alejandro Mayorkas to serve as Homeland Security secretary; Avril Haines to be director of national intelligence; and Jake Sullivan to be national security advisor.

Brennan added in a follow-up tweet Monday that while he “will refrain from referencing Donald Trump in Twittersphere again, I will not hesitate to denounce public officials of any political stripe who I believe betray the trust of the American people or engage in unethical, unprincipled, or corrupt activities.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I promise,” the former top national security official added. 

Brennan’s Twitter remarks come after the ex-CIA director argued earlier this month that President TrumpDonald TrumpGOP grapples with chaotic Senate primary in Pennsylvania ​​Trump social media startup receives commitment of billion from unidentified 'diverse group' of investors Iran thinks it has the upper hand in Vienna — here's why it doesn't MORE was “score-settling” with personnel changes at the Pentagon, which began with the firing of Defense Secretary Mark Esper, followed by a series of resignations of other top officials. 

“He wants people to be personally loyal to him,” Brennan said in an interview on CNN at the time. “So therefore the firing of Mark EsperMark EsperThe Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Biden to update Americans on omicron; Congress back Former defense secretary Esper sues Pentagon in memoir dispute Overnight Defense & National Security — Presented by Boeing — Major Russia weapons test stokes tensions MORE and the decapitating of civilian leadership within the Pentagon, I think clearly is score-settling on the part of Mr. Trump.”

Sources reportedly told CNN’s Jake TapperJacob (Jake) Paul TapperOmar calls out Boebert over anti-Muslim remarks, denies Capitol incident took place Republican Rep. Upton unsure if he'll run again Bass calls 'Black pastors' comment during Arbery trial 'despicable' MORE that the White House had focused on pushing out Esper’s undersecretaries after Esper and his team argued against withdrawing troops from Afghanistan.

Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller hired a senior adviser who frequently pushed for the immediate removal of troops from Afghanistan, and, last week, Miller announced that Trump had ordered the Pentagon to pull 2,500 U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Iraq by mid-January. 

Some experts have warned that such a rapid withdrawal would threaten national security and stability in the region, with the military frequently arguing against going below the 4,500 troops currently in Afghanistan. 

Military officials have said that conditions on the ground do not warrant a drawback of troops, with the Taliban failing to uphold its agreement with the United States for peace in the country.