33-year-old Navy reservist dies of COVID-19
A 33-year-old Navy reservist died of COVID-19 this week, becoming the 13th U.S. service member killed in the pandemic.
The Navy announced the sailor’s death earlier in the week, but it was first noted in the Pentagon’s online chart of COVID-19 cases connected to the department with Friday’s update.
Builder 2nd Class Nathan Huff Bishop died Tuesday at a local hospital in Canton, Ohio, the Navy said in a statement.
Bishop, an Ashland, Ohio, native who was assigned to the Navy Operational Support Center in Akron, was not in an activated status at the time of his death, according to the Navy.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family [and] friends,” the Navy said.
Bishop is the second sailor killed by the coronavirus, though the other was the military’s only active-duty death to date.
Navy Chief Petty Officer Charles Robert Thacker Jr., a 41-year-old aviation ordnanceman, died in April after being one of more than 1,000 sailors from the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier who contracted the virus.
Six Army reservists and five guardsmen have also died from the disease.
The Pentagon has been grappling with a spike in virus cases in recent weeks amid the nationwide surge of the pandemic.
In total, the Pentagon has reported 125,947 cases of COVID-19 connected to the department, according to Friday’s update of the online chart.
Friday’s figures include 83,557cases among service members. The military cases include 51,038 service members who have recovered and 837 who have been hospitalized over the course of the pandemic.
There have also been 22,553 cases among civilians, 12,198 cases among dependents and 7,639 cases among contractors. There have been 82 civilian deaths, eight dependent deaths and 33 contractor deaths, according to Friday’s chart.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.