Defense

Acting Defense secretary says ‘no intelligence’ indicating insider threat to inauguration

Bonnie Cash

Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller said Monday that while law enforcement officials are vetting National Guard troops stationed in the nation’s capital, authorities have “no intelligence indicating an insider threat” to President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration this week.

“As is normal for military support to large security events, the Department will vet National Guardsmen who are in Washington, D.C.,” Miller said in a statement.“While we have no intelligence indicating an insider threat, we are leaving no stone unturned in securing the capital.” 

“This type of vetting often takes place by law enforcement for significant security events. However, in this case the scope of military participation is unique,” Miller continued.

The Associated Press reported on Sunday that concerns of insider threats prompted the FBI to vet National Guard troops stationed in D.C. to increase security around the inauguration. Some 25,000 National Guard members are going to be in the District on and around the inauguration on Wednesday.

Miller on Monday thanked the FBI for its assistance and noted that the D.C. National Guard is providing extra training to those coming to the district “that if they see or hear something that is not appropriate, they should report it to their chain of command.”

Officials have significantly bolstered security around Biden’s inauguration after a large pro-Trump mob breached the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 in an effort to support President Trump’s futile efforts to overturn the election results.

The attack resulted in five deaths and more than 100 arrests thus far. A handful of current or former military personnel have been linked to the riot, including an Army reservist who was charged last week.

Tags Biden inauguration Donald Trump Joe Biden

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video