The Pentagon was put on lockdown Tuesday morning for a few hours following a reported shooting at a nearby Metro station.
The Pentagon Force Protection Agency (PFPA) had confirmed in a tweet that the Defense Department facility was on lockdown, citing an unspecified incident at the Pentagon Transit Center.
The Pentagon currently is on lock down due to an incident at the Pentagon Transit Center. We are asking the public to please avoid the area. More information will be forthcoming.— Pentagon Force Protection Agency (Official) (@PFPAOfficial) August 3, 2021
The Associated Press reported that multiple gunshots were fired near a platform by the building’s Metro station.
Pentagon authorities later announced that the lockdown was lifted. The Metro entrance to the facility, as well as Corridor 2, remained closed.
The Pentagon has lifted the lock down and has reopened. Corridor 2 and the Metro entrance remains closed. Corridor 3 is open for pedestrian traffic.— Pentagon Force Protection Agency (Official) (@PFPAOfficial) August 3, 2021
Shortly before noon, the PFPA announced that the “scene of the incident is secure,” but noted that there was “still an active crime scene." Transportation at the Pentagon was diverted to Pentagon City.
The scene of the incident is secure. It is still an active crime scene. We request that everyone stay away from the Metro rail entrance and bus platform area. Transportation at the Pentagon is diverted to Pentagon City.— Pentagon Force Protection Agency (Official) (@PFPAOfficial) August 3, 2021
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority told The Hill that train and bus service near the Pentagon has been suspended for the time being.
A Pentagon announcement earlier in the day said the building was being locked down because of “police activity,” the AP reported.
An AP reporter who was near the building said they heard multiple gunshots.
The Hill reached out to the Pentagon for additional information.
Updated at 12:48 p.m.