Defense

Special Operations Command’s top general tests positive for COVID-19

Associated Press/Andrew Harnik

The head of U.S. Special Operations Command tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday, making him the latest senior defense official to contract the virus this month.

Gen. Richard D. Clarke has “very mild symptoms” and will be working remotely to isolate himself from others, command spokesman Col. Curt Kellogg said in an emailed statement.

Clarke is fully vaccinated and has received his booster shot, Kellogg said. He has not been in the physical presence of other senior civilian defense officials or members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff this month.

News of Clarke’s test comes a week after Gen. Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as well as Marine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger, both tested positive for COVID-19.

Spokesman for Milley and Berger both said at the time that the officials were still able to perform their duties remotely.

Earlier this month, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin tested positive for COVID-19, and worked from home for about a week before returning to the office.

Tags COVID-19 testing Lloyd Austin Mark Milley Pentagon

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video