Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro on Monday announced that he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Del Toro, who is vaccinated, said he tested positive on Monday morning and will work from home this week, according to a statement from his office. 

He said he returned from official travel on Friday and had tested negative before he left on Jan. 21 and after the trip ended Friday.  

“I am following my physician’s instructions and will quarantine for the next five days at a minimum in accordance with CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] guidelines,” Del Toro said.  

He added that he will attend key meetings and discussions virtually, and he delegated acting Navy Undersecretary Meredith Berger to represent him at in-person obligations. 

“I am grateful to be fully vaccinated and to have received the booster shot in October as I know my symptoms could be far worse,” the 61-year-old secretary noted.  

“We must continue to vaccinate our naval forces and look out for our physical health as we finish the fight against COVID,” he added. 

Del Toro is the latest military leader to test positive for COVID-19 in the past month.

Gen. Richard Clarke, head of U.S. Special Operations Command, tested positive last week, while Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley and Marine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger all tested positive earlier this month.  

Tags Carlos Del Toro Coronavirus coronavirus pandemic COVID-19 COVID-19 breakthrough cases Lloyd Austin Mark Milley

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video