Overnight Defense: Trump nixes Pompeo's North Korea trip | McCain gets outpouring of support | Erik Prince pushes Afghanistan plan

Overnight Defense: Trump nixes Pompeo's North Korea trip | McCain gets outpouring of support | Erik Prince pushes Afghanistan plan
© Getty Images

THE TOPLINE: President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: I hope voters pay attention to Dem tactics amid Kavanaugh fight South Korea leader: North Korea agrees to take steps toward denuclearization Graham calls handling of Kavanaugh allegations 'a drive-by shooting' MORE on Friday said he has asked Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoGrassley to administration: You must consult Congress on refugee cap Graham knocks South Korea over summit with North Shrapnel in Yemen strikes links US-made bombs to 63 civilian deaths: report MORE to put off his planned visit to North Korea and accused Pyongyang of slow-walking efforts to dismantle its nuclear program.

Trump wrote in a tweet that a high-level visit is not appropriate “at this time, because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”

Pompeo was scheduled to make his fourth visit to North Korea next week to follow up on a framework agreement Trump reached with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at their summit in mid-June.

A rare admission: The decision marks a rare concession from Trump that North Korea’s denuclearization is not going as well as hoped.

Trump proclaimed after his meeting in Singapore with Kim that North Korea is “no longer a nuclear threat.”

What caused the tweet? The announcement comes a day after Pompeo named a Stephen Biegun — a senior executive with the Ford Motor Company — to be the State Department’s special representative for North Korea. Pompeo had said that Biegun was to travel with him to Pyongyang next week.

White House national security adviser John Bolton had also praised Pompeo on Sunday, saying he had done “extraordinary follow-up diplomacy after the Singapore meeting" and the administration expects “that's going to resume in the near future.”

Trump in his series of tweets about North Korea on Friday also accused China of not “helping with the process of denuclearization as they once were,” pointing to “our much tougher Trading stance” with the nation as the cause of the rift.

Little progress: Since the June summit, Pyongyang has not conducted any missile or nuclear tests, but U.S. officials have acknowledged that there have been no public signs of denuclearization.

Bolton said earlier this month that North Korea "has not taken the steps we feel are necessary to denuclearize" and media reports citing U.S. intelligence estimates say the nation continues work on ballistic missile and nuclear weapons development. 

MCCAIN ENDS TREATMENT: Senate Armed Services Chairman John McCainJohn Sidney McCainTrump administration weakens methane pollution standards for drilling on public lands Another recession could hit US in 2019, says credit union association chief R-E-S-P-E-C-T: One legacy of Franklin and McCain is up to us MORE (R-Ariz.) has decided to discontinue medical treatment, more than a year after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer, his family announced Friday.

"In the year since, John has surpassed expectations for his survival. But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict. With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment," McCain's family said in a statement released by his office.

"Our family is immensely grateful for the support and kindness of all his caregivers over the last year, and for the continuing outpouring of concern and affection from John’s many friends and associates, and the many thousands of people who are keeping him in their prayers,” they added. “God bless and thank you all." 

The statement comes less than a week before the highly regarded defense hawk’s 82nd birthday.

The diagnoses: McCain was diagnosed in July 2017 with glioblastoma, a type of brain tumor. It was discovered after he had surgery to remove a blood clot above his left eye.

Though McCain has been absent from Capitol Hill since December — when his office announced that he had returned to Arizona for "physical therapy and rehabilitation" — he's continued to weigh in on the Senate's foreign policy and national security debates.

Outpouring of support: The White House didn't immediately comment on the announcement from McCain's family, but his longtime colleagues offered their support on social media.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellSanders hits Feinstein over Kavanaugh allegations: Now it’s clear why she did nothing for months On The Money: Senate approves 4B spending bill | China imposes new tariffs on billion in US goods | Ross downplays new tariffs: 'Nobody's going to actually notice' McConnell tamps down any talk of Kavanaugh withdrawal MORE (R-Ky.), who at times broke with McCain on issues like immigration and health care, said he was "very sad to hear" the announcement from McCain's family.

Sen. Jack ReedJohn (Jack) Francis ReedNew York Times: Trump mulling whether to replace Mattis after midterms Overnight Defense: Biden honors McCain at Phoenix memorial service | US considers sending captured ISIS fighters to Gitmo and Iraq | Senators press Trump on ending Yemen civil war Senators press Trump administration on Yemen civil war MORE (D-R.I.), the ranking member on the Armed Services Committee, said McCain was "still inspiring us [with] his courage, grit, determination & grace."

Mitt RomneyWillard (Mitt) Mitt RomneyPoll: House GOP candidate leads in California swing district Super PACs spend big in high-stakes midterms Kavanaugh and the 'boys will be boys' sentiment is a poor excuse for bad behavior MORE, a fellow GOP presidential candidate in 2008 who later endorsed McCain, said that "no man this century better exemplifies honor, patriotism, service, sacrifice, and country first than Senator John McCain."

And John Kerry — who served with McCain for decades in the Senate before going on to be secretary of State during the Obama administration — said the GOP senator has shown Americans what “the words grace and grit really mean." 

PRINCE PRESSES ON AFGHANISTAN PLAN: A year after the Trump administration rejected Blackwater founder Erik Prince’s plan to replace most U.S. troops in Afghanistan with private contractors — an idea roundly criticized by the defense and foreign policy establishment — he’s back trying to sell his plan to President Trump.

Prince hasn’t talked to Trump about the idea recently, he admits. But he’s been making the rounds in the media, including an appearance on Trump’s favorite television show, “Fox & Friends,” talking up his plan as a way to end the stagnation of the 17-year-old war.

Nagging concerns: Few, if any, defense officials, lawmakers and experts think Prince’s plan would work, but there’s concern that Trump – who revels in bucking the establishment – just might give it a shot.

The current strategy: A year ago Tuesday, Trump announced his strategy to turn around the war in Afghanistan, which top generals had been warning was a stalemate at best.

His changes included taking away a timeline for withdrawal, adding thousands more troops, loosening some rules of engagement and putting more pressure on regional players such as Pakistan.

Today, the U.S. has about 16,000 troops in Afghanistan on a dual mission of training, advising and assisting Afghan forces in their fight against the Taliban and conducting counterterrorism missions against groups such as al Qaeda and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Is it working? Top U.S. officials have insisted the strategy is working, pointing to a three-day ceasefire earlier this year and “off stage” talks with elements of the Taliban.

“The progress towards reconciliation, which ultimately is what we want, a political end to the war — which will enable a political end to the war — is perhaps one of the greatest successes of the strategy so far,” Gen. John Nicholson said Tuesday.

“Now, there will be ups and downs, there will be leap-aheads, there'll be frustrations, there'll be, you know, two steps forward, one step back from time to time, but the process is started.”

But insurgents have continued to launch high-profile attacks, and control of territory has remained largely unchanged: 65 percent of Afghans live in areas under government control, while 12 percent live under the Taliban and 23 percent in contested areas, according to Monday’s latest quarterly inspector general report on the mission. 

 

ICYMI

–– The Hill: Judge in transgender troops lawsuit knocks administration for withholding information

–– The Hill: FEMA updates US nuclear disaster plans

–– The Hill: Senate Dems request materials related to Trump-Putin Helsinki meeting

–– The Hill: Oversight chair presses Mattis for details on probe into spokeswoman

–– The Hill: Pakistan demands State Department fix ‘factually incorrect’ description of Pompeo call

–– Reuters: Bolton: U.S. sanctions to stay until Russia changes its behavior

–– Military Times: Elevated levels of lead found in child’s blood at Wyoming Air Force base