FEATURED:

Overnight Defense — Presented by Raytheon — Border deployment 'peaked' at 5,800 troops | Trump sanctions 17 Saudis over Khashoggi killing | Senators offer bill to press Trump on Saudis | Paul effort to block Bahrain arms sale fails

Overnight Defense — Presented by Raytheon — Border deployment 'peaked' at 5,800 troops | Trump sanctions 17 Saudis over Khashoggi killing | Senators offer bill to press Trump on Saudis | Paul effort to block Bahrain arms sale fails

Happy Thursday and welcome to Overnight Defense. I'm Rebecca Kheel, and here's your nightly guide to the latest developments at the Pentagon, on Capitol Hill and beyond. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the newsletter.

 

THE TOPLINE: After the fanfare of deploying U.S. troops to the southern border late last month, the mission appears ready to wind down.

Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told reporters Thursday the deployment has "pretty much peaked" at 5,800 troops.

That came after the commander in charge of the mission, Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan, told Reuters he is looking next week at whether to begin sending forces home.

Buchanan also said he would look at possibly shifting some troops to new border positions.

Flashback: President TrumpDonald John TrumpJoaquín Castro: Trump would be 'in court right now' if he weren't the president or 'privileged' Trump flubs speech location at criminal justice conference Comey reveals new details on Russia probe during House testimony MORE at one point said 15,000 troops could be sent to the border, a number that would be more than the official count for those in Afghanistan.

The official authorization was never for 15,000. But it did get to 7,000, which it now appears the deployment won't reach.

The order also had the deployment lasting until Dec. 15.

Fodder for critics?: Critics, particularly Democrats and immigrant rights activists, have accused Trump of using the military for a political stunt to whip up his base for the midterm elections.

Before the midterms, Trump argued the deployment was necessary to stop a caravan of Central American asylum-seekers that are headed to the U.S. border. He has said little to nothing about the caravan or the deployment since the election.

The news that the deployment is wrapping up quickly could give fodder to the critics. Most of the military's task has been to lay down barbed wire. 

 

SPONSORED CONTENT - RAYTHEON

An intuitive, fully open intelligence platform, Raytheon’s FoXTEN connects soldiers to multiple intelligence sources—facilitating better, faster tactical decision-making in the field. Learn more.

  

TRUMP SANCTIONS 17 SAUDIS: The Trump administration took its most sweeping action yet Thursday to respond to the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, announcing sanctions against 17 Saudis for their alleged role in his death.

Among those being sanctioned are Saud al-Qahtani, a former top aide to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman who the Treasury Department says was part of the "planning and execution" of the operation that led to Khashoggi's death, as well as a top subordinate and the Saudi consul general in Istanbul.

"The Saudi officials we are sanctioning were involved in the abhorrent killing of Jamal Khashoggi," Treasury Secretary Steven MnuchinSteven Terner MnuchinOn The Money: Stocks slide after Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man' | Mnuchin urges Congress to pass new NAFTA without changes | Postal reforms could inflame Trump-Amazon feud Mnuchin urges Congress to pass Trump's new NAFTA without changes Stocks slide after Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man' MORE said in a statement. "These individuals who targeted and brutally killed a journalist who resided and worked in the United States must face consequences for their actions."

Any U.S. assets belonging to the individuals are frozen by the sanctions, and Americans are banned from doing business with them. The sanctions were imposed under the Global Magnitsky Act, which is aimed at human-rights violators.

Timing: The Trump administration announcement came hours after the Saudi government said it indicted 11 people in Khashoggi's death.

Five people face the death penalty in the case, but the Saudi public prosecutor did not reveal their identities.

Riyadh's statement was largely consistent with its previous claims that Khashoggi's killing was the result of an extraction mission gone awry, but it admitted for the first time that the journalist's body was dismembered and removed from the consulate in Istanbul.

Neither the Saudis nor Trump administration placed blame on Prince Mohammed, a close ally of the Trump administration whom some foreign officials believe was responsible for the operation.

Lawmakers say not enough: U.S. lawmakers said Thursday the sanctions are a good start, but more needs to be done.

"I have a lot of concerns about the trajectory that Saudi Arabia is on right now, and I think a price needs to be paid," Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob CorkerRobert (Bob) Phillips CorkerUS-Saudi relationship enters uncharted territory Senate edges closer to rebuking Trump on Saudi Arabia Saudi crown prince's brother returns to US MORE (R-Tenn.) said in a statement. "The administration's sanctioning today of 17 individuals who were involved is a significant step in that process that hopefully will involve additional action as well."

"Important action from @USTreasury today to hold those responsible for #JamalKhashoggi murder responsible," House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed RoyceEdward (Ed) Randall RoyceThis week: Lawmakers return to mourn George H.W. Bush Ryan casts doubt on 'bizarre' California election results The Hill's Morning Report — Pressure is on Trump, Republicans in Mississippi Senate race MORE (R-Calif.) said on Twitter. "More should be done to protect Saudi dissidents and journalists – including a review of all Saudi diplomatic activities, posts and personnel in the United States."

The harshest critics, though, largely Democrats, said the Trump administration's response appears to be blindly accepting the Saudi version of events.

"The sanctions announced by the Treasury Department are an important, but insufficient step towards holding Saudi Arabia accountable for the state-sponsored murder of Virginia resident and journalist Jamal Khashoggi," Sen. Tim KaineTimothy (Tim) Michael KaineWhile G-20 Summit was promising for US- China trade relations, Congress must still push for an exclusion process Overnight Defense — Presented by Raytheon — Border deployment 'peaked' at 5,800 troops | Trump sanctions 17 Saudis over Khashoggi killing | Senators offer bill to press Trump on Saudis | Paul effort to block Bahrain arms sale fails Overnight Defense: What the midterms mean for defense panels | Pompeo cancels North Korea meeting | Trump eyes Kim summit in early 2019 | Pentagon drops name for border mission MORE (D-Va.) said in a statement. "I am disturbed that following repeated Saudi lies about what happened to Jamal, the administration appears to be following the Saudi playbook of blaming mid-level officials and exonerating its leadership."

"This is a good first step," Senate Foreign Relations ranking member Bob MenendezRobert (Bob) MenendezMore oversight of America’s international media networks a good idea Pro-Israel organizations should finally seek payback against Iran deal Dems Trump lowers refugee goal to 30,000, he must meet it MORE (D-N.J.) said on Twitter. "But w/ Saudi Arabia's announcement of seeking death sentences for 5 suspects & absent a transparent investigation, this announcement looks like a coordinated attempt to sweep this case under the rug. I expect full accountability & will work to ensure it."

"These sanctions are an appropriate response to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, but today's action does not put this issue to rest," House Foreign Affairs ranking member Eliot EngelEliot Lance EngelMcCaul set to serve as ranking member of House Committee on Foreign Affairs Overnight Defense — Presented by Raytheon — Border deployment 'peaked' at 5,800 troops | Trump sanctions 17 Saudis over Khashoggi killing | Senators offer bill to press Trump on Saudis | Paul effort to block Bahrain arms sale fails Trump faces new hurdles on foreign policy MORE (D-N.Y.) said in a statement. "It remains unclear whether the Trump administration has determined who is responsible for this horrific incident. Until responsibility is confirmed, this matter is unresolved and deserves Congress's scrutiny. In addition, we have yet to receive answers as to what initially motivated the Trump administration to try to sweep this incident under the rug. Congress and the American people need answers."

And there's a bill: By the end of the day Thursday, senators introduced a bill aimed at forcing President Trump to do more.

The bill was introduced by Menendez and Sens. Todd YoungTodd Christopher YoungSenate edges closer to rebuking Trump on Saudi Arabia Mattis: Investigation into killing of Khashoggi is ongoing Senators introduce resolution saying Saudi crown prince 'complicit' in Khashoggi slaying MORE (R-Ind.), Jack ReedJohn (Jack) Francis ReedYemen resolution picks up crucial support in Senate Senate to get briefing on Saudi Arabia that could determine sanctions Dem senator: Trump's Saudi statement 'stunning window' into his 'autocratic tendencies' MORE (D-R.I.), Lindsey GrahamLindsey Olin GrahamUS-Saudi relationship enters uncharted territory Trump tells McConnell to let Senate vote on criminal justice reform Overnight Defense: Nauert tapped for UN envoy | Trump teases changes to Joint Chiefs of Staff | Trump knocks Tillerson as 'dumb as a rock' | Scathing report details Air Force failures before Texas shooting MORE (R-S.C.), Jeanne ShaheenCynthia (Jeanne) Jeanne ShaheenOvernight Defense: Nauert tapped for UN envoy | Trump teases changes to Joint Chiefs of Staff | Trump knocks Tillerson as 'dumb as a rock' | Scathing report details Air Force failures before Texas shooting New Hampshire's secretary of state narrowly holds seat Overnight Health Care: Senators urge vote on delaying health insurance tax | Joe Kennedy III 'hopeful' he can back 'Medicare for all' bill | Latest Ebola outbreak becomes world's 2nd-worst MORE (D-N.H.) and Susan CollinsSusan Margaret CollinsSenators want assurances from attorney general pick on fate of Mueller probe 5 themes to watch for in 2020 fight for House Judd Gregg: The last woman standing MORE (R-Maine).

The bill would suspend weapons sales to Saudi Arabia, prohibit U.S. refueling of Saudi coalition aircraft in the Yemen civil war, sanction those blocking humanitarian access in Yemen, sanction those supporting the Houthis in Yemen, require a report on those harming civilians in Yemen, sanction those responsible for Khashoggi's death and require a report on human rights in Saudi Arabia.

Post response: The Washington Post, where Khashoggi was a columnist, slammed the U.S. and Saudi governments for "asking the world to take their word" on the results of the investigation.

"In announcing actions against 'those responsible' for Jamal Khashoggi's murder, the Saudi and U.S. governments are asking the world to take their word for it that this settles the matter," Post publisher and CEO Fred Ryan said in a statement.

"From the start, the Saudi 'investigation' has been an effort to shield those ultimately responsible for this heinous crime when there is every reason to believe that it was authorized at the highest levels of the Saudi government," he continued.

"Many important questions about Jamal's tragic murder have gone unanswered. The U.S. government should be demanding an independent investigation that gets to the truth about the murder of an innocent journalist," he added.

 

Rand PaulRandal (Rand) Howard PaulSunday shows preview: Trade talks, Cohen sentencing memo take center stage Meadows says 'too early to tell' if special House election should be held in North Carolina Kobach ‘very concerned’ voter fraud may have happened in North Carolina MORE DENIED: The Yemen civil war has become tied up with the Khashoggi crisis as lawmakers look for a way to respond.

Looking to seize on that, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) tried to block an arms sale to Bahrain by invoking their position in the Saudi-led coalition in the war.

But the argument failed and Paul's resolution was easily rejected. Even many who oppose arms sales to the Saudis voted to end Paul's effort.

The Senate voted 77-21 Thursday to table the resolution that would have blocked the $300 million artillery sale, effectively killing the effort.

"I rise today to call for an end to the U.S. involvement in the war in Yemen," Paul said on the Senate floor Thursday. "Your tax dollars are supporting this war, so I think there ought to be a debate. So that's what I stand up today to do, is to force a debate on whether or not we should be involved with aiding and abetting the Saudi coalition in this war in Yemen."

What's for sale: The Trump administration notified Congress on Sept. 28 that it intends to sell Bahrain 120 Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System pods and 110 Army Tactical Missile System pods.

The notification said the artillery is needed to improve Bahrain's "security for its critical oil and natural gas infrastructure."

White House stance: On Thursday, the White House said it "strongly opposes" Paul's effort, saying the weapons are necessary to defend against Iran.

"The utilization of this ground-based system would enhance Bahrain's ability to protect itself against threats to territorial sovereignty, particularly from Iran," the statement of administration policy said. "Furthermore, this system will bolster a Bahraini defense infrastructure that supports United States activities and priorities related to countering Iran's regional destabilizing activities and anti-piracy efforts in the Arabian and Red Seas."

 

OUT OF AFRICA: The Pentagon announced Thursday that it will cut by hundreds the number of U.S. troops deployed to Africa on counterterrorism missions over the next several years.

"The Department of Defense announced today the realignment of Counter-Violent Extremist Organization personnel operating in U.S. Africa Command to support priorities outlined in the National Defense Strategy," the Pentagon said in a statement. "Over the next several years, the realignment projects a reduction of less than 10 percent of the 7,200 military forces serving in Africa Command."

The Pentagon said the counterterrorism missions in areas such as Somalia, Djibouti and Libya would largely remain the same.

Djibouti is home to the only permanent U.S. military base in Africa and serves as a launch point for military operations elsewhere in the region. U.S. forces in Somalia and Libya conduct operations against al Qaeda and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Missions in other areas, such as West Africa, will shift from tactical assistance to advising, assisting, liaising and sharing intelligence, according to the statement.

Why: The announcement comes as the Pentagon seeks to shift its focus from counterterrorism to so-called great power competitions with Russia and China.

The shift in military focus to Russia and China was called for in the National Defense Strategy released early this year.

But...: While the military is drawing down in Africa to align with the strategy, U.S. military leaders have also warned that Russia and China are growing their presence in Africa.

The announcement also comes after a deadly ambush in Niger last year prompted questions about both why U.S. troops are in Africa and whether the Africa missions were underresourced.

Some U.S. lawmakers said they were unaware of the U.S. presence there until the ambush and argue that the presence was unnecessary.

Others, though, particularly Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman James InhofeJames (Jim) Mountain InhofeInhofe tells military crowd: 'Don't trust the media' GOP senators introduce bill to give Trump billion for border wall Inhofe: 'I cringe a little bit' when Trump tweets MORE (R-Okla.), said the incident shows a need for more U.S. troops in Africa.

Inhofe has been a key backer of U.S. forces in Africa, having been instrumental in the creation of U.S. Africa Command and arguing this year for a new advisor brigade to be sent to Africa.

 

ON TAP FOR TOMORROW

The Center for Strategic and International Studies will host a discussion on "Russian Nuclear Strategy after the Cold War" at 10 a.m. https://bit.ly/2zd2LGx

The Hudson Institute will host a panel on "Implications of U.S.-China Tensions in the Indo-Pacific" at noon. https://bit.ly/2DCtsZk

The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace will discuss its new study, the "Korea Strategic Review 2018: Moon Jae-in and the Politics of Inter-Korean Détente," at 1:30 p.m. https://bit.ly/2KaR7AA

 

ICYMI

-- The Hill: North Korea's Kim oversees new weapons test

-- The Hill: Pentagon official: Trump's Space Force could cost up to $10 billion

-- The Hill: Pentagon fails first-ever audit

-- The Hill: White House eyeing ways to remove Erdoğan foe Gülen from US: report

-- The Hill: Pentagon limiting senior leader appearances at public events: report

-- The Hill: Opinion: Macron's 'Euro-army' is an idea whose time has come