Energy & Environment

Zinke blames ‘false’ attacks in resignation

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Saturday that he’s resigning from his post in the Trump administration because of the cost of fighting off “false allegations.” 
 
“I love working for the President and am incredibly proud of all the good work we’ve accomplished together,” Zinke wrote in a statement on Twitter.
 
“However, after 30 years of public service, I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars defending myself and my family against false allegations,” he added. 
Hours earlier, President Trump announced on Twitter that Zinke would leave his post by the end of the year, the latest change in a major shake-up of the president’s Cabinet and senior staff.{mosads}
 
Zinke has faced numerous allegations of violating ethics rules during his 21 months in office.
 
The Interior Department’s Office of Inspector General recently referred one case to the Justice Department for potential prosecution — an accusation that he entered into a land deal with the chairman of oilfield services company Halliburton.
 
He’s also been accused of letting his family ride in government vehicles and trying to replace the department’s internal watchdog with a political ally, among other allegations.
 
Zinke has categorically denied violating ethics rules and alleged that the accusations are politically motivated.
 
“The allegations against me are outrageous; they’re false,” he told Breitbart News last month.
Tags Donald Trump Ryan Zinke
See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video